Nail cracked PVC on toilet drain, can it be patched/filled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig Cannon

Reaction score
Today I noticed my floor in the garage where the drain pipe goes down into the ground was wet. I started searching for the leak and long story short, I finally stuck a garden hose down the drain (with toiled removed) and started removing drywall. What I found was a piece of PVC is cracked and leaking. It's not a joint, but a straight section between two fittings. Almost positive it was hit by a nail even though nothing is visible there now.

Since this is not under pressure, can it be patched with epoxy or similar? Replacing the piece will be very difficult based on it being right behind the stud and a brick exterior wall on the other side.

Attachments

• 20200814_174701.jpg
    20200814_174701.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200814_174747.jpg
    20200814_174747.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I might cut the rubber of a shielded coupler long-ways. Slide that over the pipe, with the slice far from the pipe flaw. Then slide the shield over that, and tighten. I am not a pro.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
only done it on abs so wouldnt fix the same way but that JB weld product looks worth a try

Craig Cannon

Reaction score
I decided to give the Waterweld a try and it worked as described. After reading info and reviews, I have little reason to doubt that it won't be a permanent fix, but I'll keep a check on it over time. The good news is it's in an exterior wall that's in the garage, so have a small section at the floor where I can check for any moisture.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I decided to give the Waterweld a try and it worked as described. After reading info and reviews, I have little reason to doubt that it won't be a permanent fix, but I'll keep a check on it over time. The good news is it's in an exterior wall that's in the garage, so have a small section at the floor where I can check for any moisture.

good to hear! no hurry to patch dry wall but I think you got it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks