Line to toilet hissing like crazy and slow?

Users who are viewing this thread

WanderFranco

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a super newbie! Our toilet was randomly flushing a couple of months ago... so after some googling, it seemed that our fill valve was gone. Our house is 7 years old, so it seemed reasonable. I ordered one online and watched some Youtube videos and replaced it.

Not long after that, it started hissing and filling up slowly. Only lasted a couple of days and then worked fine for probably a month to two. Then it started hissing and filling up slowly on every fill... did some more googling and I thought maybe the flapper was gone. So I ordered a flapper and replaced it this morning.

No change at all... the hissing actually seems to be coming from the metal cord coming from the ground to the toilet. And if I go to the washroom on the other side of the wall, it's even really loud in there, almost like it's in the floor if that makes sense?

Also what's odd is that if I shut off the water to the toilet for a few hours... the next 4 or 5 flushes are fine. No hiss and it fills up quickly. Then boom it comes back right away.

I tried disconnecting the hose to the toilet and letting it run for a few seconds with just filling up a big bowl and it still hisses.

Any suggestions here? Or do I need to call a plumber? Thanks!!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A good chance it is the shut off valve. If it is a full turn type they do not last long after being closed for the first time in years. The seat washer degrates, sometimes they fall apart and plug things up. Try closing the valve some to see if it helps at all. If it is a 1/4 turn, it is something else. Is there a shut off under the toilet or do you need to go into the basement to turn off the water? What ever it is the valve you are closing to repair the toilet is most likely the culprit.

The metal cord is a pipe. Some are chromed soft copper or stainless steel braided nylon pipe.

WanderFranco

Reaction score
A good chance it is the shut off valve. If it is a full turn type they do not last long after being closed for the first time in years. The seat washer degrates, sometimes they fall apart and plug things up. Try closing the valve some to see if it helps at all. If it is a 1/4 turn, it is something else. Is there a shut off under the toilet or do you need to go into the basement to turn off the water? What ever it is the valve you are closing to repair the toilet is most likely the culprit.

The metal cord is a pipe. Some are chromed soft copper or stainless steel braided nylon pipe.

Ohhhhh I think you might be onto something! Ya, the hissing never started until I shut off the water to fix the fill valve.

I think it's a full turn type. To turn it on or off, I have to go in a full circle a couple of times. It's this one here...

2020-08-13_02-29-27

I opened it just a bit after flushing the toilet and there's no hiss, but the water is mega slow. If I open it even a wee bit more then HISSSSSSSS super loud.

So if it is the shut off valve... is that something I can fix myself? Sorry, this is my first plumbing experience ever lol. Especially with covid and everything, we don't want people coming through our house unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After the water has filled the tank, turn off the shutoff at the wall and mark where the water level is in the tank.
If the water level drops over time, then the flapper many need fixing or replacement. Sometimes the overflow tube is cracked, or sometimes the fill line from the fill valve is pushed too far down the overflow tube which causes a siphon.

Like WorthFlorida mentioned above, a bad washer in the wall shutoff can make noise during a refill. I just replaced an old multi-turn stop today for a toilet replacement in Kent. I was removing an old Crane toilet that had suffered a spontaneous tank breakage. As broken as the toilet tank was, I think the homeowners suffered more with all the cleanup afterwards.
I wound up installing another TOTO Entrada for them to go with the previous one I had sold them a few years ago. Heck, those things are selling themselves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't tell how that shutoff attaches to the pipe there. Worst case you can use a Sharkbite style 1/4 turn on that 1/2" pipe.

WanderFranco

Reaction score
I can't tell how that shutoff attaches to the pipe there. Worst case you can use a Sharkbite style 1/4 turn on that 1/2" pipe.

Sorry I'm totally clueless as to what that means. Lol I've never done anything like this before in my life. It was a miracle that I actually managed to chang the fill valve and the flapper.

What exactly does that mean? Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I'm totally clueless as to what that means. Lol I've never done anything like this before in my life. It was a miracle that I actually managed to chang the fill valve and the flapper.

What exactly does that mean? Thanks!
the valve in picture likely needs replacing With a "sharkbite style" valve shark bite is a brand but particular type of connection that would likely be a good choice. take your picture with you to the store and tell him what your doing.

WanderFranco

Reaction score
the valve in picture likely needs replacing With a "sharkbite style" valve shark bite is a brand but particular type of connection that would likely be a good choice. take your picture with you to the store and tell him what your doing.

Ohhhh ok cool. That's a great idea! I'll pop over to Home Depot when I get a chance and see what they can come up with. Thank you!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks