Gas Range Clock bonkers

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Installed a new range last month. The clock speeds up, we reset it and it speeds up again. Today it was set accurately about 8am, it's now 11:30 but the clock reads 3:10. I understand the frequency changr can make a difference but thought I'f check here. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Installed a new range last month. The clock speeds up, we reset it and it speeds up again. Today it was set accurately about 8am, it's now 11:30 but the clock reads 3:10. I understand the frequency changr can make a difference but thought I'f check here. Thanks.
"The frequency changer"? What frequency changer?

The clock is going about 2x fast, as if whatever you are doing to provide power is generating a lot of second harmonic.

Reaction score
"The frequency changer"? What frequency changer?

The clock is going about 2x fast, as if whatever you are doing to provide power is generating a lot of second harmonic.[/
House frequency here runs at 60hz. I thought maybe if the power company upped the frequency it might change the clock speed, read that’s possible but the amount of change is nuts. I’m waiting for a return call from them.

Reach4

Reaction score
House frequency here runs at 60hz. I thought maybe if the power company upped the frequency it might change the clock speed, read that’s possible but the amount of change is nuts. I’m waiting for a return call from them.

I would be wondering if a dimmer or some other thing was generating a pulse in your house on that circuit. Got an oscilloscope?

With an extension cord, you could try powering the range with an outlet on a different circuit, preferably one on the other leg of your power. In the attached sketch, breakers in the red positions, in most breaker boxes, are on a different leg than the ones in the blue positions. A two-pole breaker uses both legs.

Attachments

• IMG_4.png
    IMG_4.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reaction score
I would be wondering if a dimmer or some other thing was generating a pulse in your house on that circuit. Got an oscilloscope?

With an extension cord, you could try powering the range with an outlet on a different circuit, preferably one on the other leg of your power. In the attached sketch, breakers in the red positions, in most breaker boxes, are on a different leg than the ones in the blue positions. A two-pole breaker uses both legs.
I powered the range from a different circuit and found the clock timed properly overnight. I also spoke with the power company which said there’s been no change in frequency on their part. Last,it’s now plugged into the “problem” circuit and I’ll see what happens today. Worst case will be re-routing the connection. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Was the old range using a 3-prong plug? New ones are designed for a 4-prong plug, and if you want to use it with a 3-prong, you must follow the instructions to the wiring in the range's manual and strap the neutral/ground.

Your clock is very likely run off of 120vac, while the stove has 240. To get 120vac, it needs neutral. If the ground/neutral are not done right , it could give you some issues.

Long ago when I lived in Germany, I had one clock that would be accurate on Friday, but off on Monday, then, if you did nothing, it would gradually go back to being right by Friday again...my theory was that the people working the weekend were not maintaining the frequency properly, and when the normal shift got back in on Monday, they slowly tweaked the frequency so that their synchronous clock moved back to being correct.

That can be overcome by using a digital clock that uses its own oscillator, but the one I noticed this on counted the power cycles (in Germany, it's 50Hz, or supposed to be!). FWIW, a clock circuit that counts the acv cycles is cheaper, so that is a factor. Some devices designed for international use may have a switch to set for 50/60Hz, and I didn't run the numbers...if yours has, and is not set to the right frequency, the clock would be off...since it's running fast, it could be set to 50Hz rather than 60Hz, so every second, it would count an extra 10 pulses, or 20% fast.

Reaction score
Was the old range using a 3-prong plug? New ones are designed for a 4-prong plug, and if you want to use it with a 3-prong, you must follow the instructions to the wiring in the range's manual and strap the neutral/ground.

Your clock is very likely run off of 120vac, while the stove has 240. To get 120vac, it needs neutral. If the ground/neutral are not done right , it could give you some issues.

Long ago when I lived in Germany, I had one clock that would be accurate on Friday, but off on Monday, then, if you did nothing, it would gradually go back to being right by Friday again...my theory was that the people working the weekend were not maintaining the frequency properly, and when the normal shift got back in on Monday, they slowly tweaked the frequency so that their synchronous clock moved back to being correct.

That can be overcome by using a digital clock that uses its own oscillator, but the one I noticed this on counted the power cycles (in Germany, it's 50Hz, or supposed to be!). FWIW, a clock circuit that counts the acv cycles is cheaper, so that is a factor. Some devices designed for international use may have a switch to set for 50/60Hz, and I didn't run the numbers...if yours has, and is not set to the right frequency, the clock would be off...since it's running fast, it could be set to 50Hz rather than 60Hz, so every second, it would count an extra 10 pulses, or 20% fast.
Hey, Thanks. Those Germans know how to have fun and mess with clocks too. Our service provider told me it's very rare that they alter the frequency and that has not occured recently. Here's the deal. The stove is propane, not electric, so it's only 120V. The short story is we changed cirucit yesterday morning and the clock worked fine, then last night we plugged it back into the "problem" outlet and now it's 10 hours later and the time is correct. It was an anamoly, I have no explanation for why it's back to normal but it is. Again, thanks.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I going to recommend plugging a alarm clock in that outlet or buy one at walley world. In the past when i thought power was flickering and couldn't catch it a cheap alarm clock could catch it by blinking the time.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If it recurs, you might try an EMI filter in that supply line. However an incorrect clock on a stove is not that big of a deal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the clock circuit actually is one that counts the acv cycles, it's possible that it could have logic to determine by itself if it is plugged into 50 or 60 Hz power supply...it might have gotten confused, and thought it was on a 50Hz supply, and ran its timekeeping based on that. When you unplugged it, then replugged it in, it got it right. Older ones relied on a physical switch to direct the logic so it could keep time correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks