Need help with shower trap

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeLDIY

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have read it for years, but never posted. I am remodeling my bathroom which had a bath fitter "shower unit" installed over a partially demolished previous shower. Supply and drain lines were altered when the work was done, maybe there was a leak in the slab or something. However I am now wanting to relocate the drain back closer to the center, to get a more even slope each direction as well as I think it looks better centered. In the attached photos, the first shows my existing configuration, however those copper supply lines run over the drain line practically touching, so I can't quite cut the drain line and glue my ptrap far enough back. Is it acceptable to use the 2 45s above the trap to get those extra 3 inches further as pictured in second photo? That is just a mock up, so I can alter it if I need to.

Attachments

• 20200808_161922.jpg
    20200808_161922.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200808_184053.jpg
    20200808_184053.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 148

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can 45 the vertical, or silver solder joints on the copper below slab. Not a homeowner job, but some plumbers are capable of it. Certainly not all.

MikeLDIY

Reaction score
You can 45 the vertical, or silver solder joints on the copper below slab. Not a homeowner job, but some plumbers are capable of it. Certainly not all.

Thank you so much for your reply!
So you are saying that it is okay to use the two 45s in the configuration shown?
By soldering joints you mean moving/reconfiguring copper to accommodate cutting drain pipe further back?
I think the PVC option would be the easiest for me to do if its correct/accepted practice to use the 45s in this manner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks