I need help identifying a mystery pipe...

Users who are viewing this thread

AnMarie

Reaction score
We bought a 1940’s cape cod and found this capped mystery pipe sticking out of the basement wall. It’s 34” up from the floor in the front of the house, 15’ to the right of our water main. Any ideas?

3481C113-61F8-4934-8C07-F7905601911E.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
It could have been the water supply coming in through the old galvanized, and now you have a new line? Do you have a water meter?

AnMarie

Reaction score
No meter. We’re in Chicago and the meter installations have been paused. We still have the original water main pipes. One of the first things we had to do was abate the asbestos on the pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Then I would be thinking gas pipe that used to go to the indoor meter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nominal Size (IPS) Diameter External
1" 1.315
1-1/4" 1.660
1-1/2" 1.900

1-1/4" is popular inside, but the pipe from the street could have been 1-1/2".

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fuel oil? An old fill port in the yard, and piping going to a now removed oil tank in the basement?

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Definitely not a gas pipe, very possible it was a fuel oil pipe, as stated above, but it is pointing up?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's too big and it doesn't look like a iron pipe cap. Why would it come in up an angle. If anything, it could have been a coal fired building and would have converted over to gas and it would still be used.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's too big and it doesn't look like a iron pipe cap. Why would it come in up an angle.
Gas wouldn't care if it goes uphill, although I am not sure that pipe is actually going uphill. It could just look that way in the photo.

Back in the old days, the gas mains were low pressure and big pipes were needed to the house. Gas meters in the basement were the norm. Then the systems were converted.

I am not rejecting other possibilities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks