Adding water service to two rv spots and adding a storage tank for home

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua ip

Reaction score
Hi i have a well that produces very well. My pump fills a medium sized pressure tank.

I am looking to add a storage tank to save my well pump cycling, feed two rv spots, and allow for better pressure by adding necessary pumps.

My current idea is to add a 250 to 1000 gallon tank right near my well. May bury or above ground (advice welcome) .

This will have a pump that hopefully feeds pressure for my house and also (or do i need two pumps) to feed another smaller storage tank near the rv spots (approximately 250 feet away very little rise will bury the lines appropriately) which will have electricity and a pump to feed the rvs.(unless i can do that with the pump in cistern number 1, and eliminate storage tank #2... but i assume the distance may be troublesome or may lower pressure in house while rv spots call for water.

Im sorry if i didn't provide enough details.

Thanks in advance!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Info on your well depth, diameter, static level, recovery etc would be helpful. Perhaps your existing pump is capable to provide additional pressure but without knowing which pump model you have, pump depth etc, ???

Instead of additional tanks and pumps, perhaps a Cycle Stop Valve would satisfy your requirements using your existing pump, pressure tank and pressure switch. The CSV will prevent pump cycling and will supply constant pressure.

At worst, I anticipate your existing well pump would fill a cistern and 1 additional pump could then pump from the cistern to your home, RVs and wherever else you want running water. Supplying the RVs should not be an issue but the flow rate will be mostly governed by the pipe diameter which will need to be enlarged somewhat to compensate for the friction losses over the 250' distance.

Valveman is a moderator on this forum and is also the developer and manufacturer of CSV devices. There are videos on his site that explain the benefits of a CSV and how it functions.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a good producing well there is no reason to use a cistern and additional booster pump. You should be able to turn the pressure up on the well pump pressure switch to get the pressure you want. Since you already have a medium sized pressure tank, which is several times larger than needed when using a CSV, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will stop the cycling problem you are worried about as well as supply strong constant pressure to the systems.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
But if you just want a cistern and booster pump we can also help with that.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Joshua ip

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I will review and respond shortly.

I didnt see the notifications for reaponses till just now.

Joshua ip

Reaction score
Info on your well depth, diameter, static level, recovery etc would be helpful. Perhaps your existing pump is capable to provide additional pressure but without knowing which pump model you have, pump depth etc, ???

Instead of additional tanks and pumps, perhaps a Cycle Stop Valve would satisfy your requirements using your existing pump, pressure tank and pressure switch. The CSV will prevent pump cycling and will supply constant pressure.

At worst, I anticipate your existing well pump would fill a cistern and 1 additional pump could then pump from the cistern to your home, RVs and wherever else you want running water. Supplying the RVs should not be an issue but the flow rate will be mostly governed by the pipe diameter which will need to be enlarged somewhat to compensate for the friction losses over the 250' distance.

Valveman is a moderator on this forum and is also the developer and manufacturer of CSV devices. There are videos on his site that explain the benefits of a CSV and how it functions.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/

What size pipe diameter would you suggest.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plu...otable-Water-Pipe-in-Blue-PPWB34500/303695876

I was thinking this above.

Joshua ip

Reaction score
If you have a good producing well there is no reason to use a cistern and additional booster pump. You should be able to turn the pressure up on the well pump pressure switch to get the pressure you want. Since you already have a medium sized pressure tank, which is several times larger than needed when using a CSV, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will stop the cycling problem you are worried about as well as supply strong constant pressure to the systems.

Ive heard because of the cost of replacing well pumps (mine was 4k a couple if years ago, they did have to redo pipe) it makes more sense to wear out pumps on the surface. So my thought was save the well pump make it work on a periodic cycle, while taxing the cheaper and easy to access pressure pump.

Bannerman

Reaction score
What size pipe diameter would you suggest.
The charts shown in post #2 in the thread linked below, indicate the quantity of 'fixture units' appropriate for a given pipe diameter and distance. Fixture units are not the same as 'fixtures' as some fixtures will utilize more water than others and will therefore be equivalent to multiple fixture units.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sprinkler-supply-line-3-4-vs-1.88452/

For continuous direct burial runs, poly pipe is often utilized.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ive heard because of the cost of replacing well pumps (mine was 4k a couple if years ago, they did have to redo pipe) it makes more sense to wear out pumps on the surface. So my thought was save the well pump make it work on a periodic cycle, while taxing the cheaper and easy to access pressure pump.

You can do that. But if you keep the well pump from cycling too much it should last 20-30 years. There are advantages and disadvantages to a storage tank. If you have a weak producing well a storage tank and booster pump is a must. But the water in the storage tank may need disinfecting on regular occasions as it is in a vented tank, exposed to air, heat, and usually sun light. Water directly from the well stays fresh. With a storage tank you also have two pump systems to maintain instead of just one. However, with the right alarm system a storage tank will give you a day or two of water after the well pump quits. But if your well pump has a dependable control system you would only need the storage tank for cushion once in 30 years or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks