RT = 3:00
BD = 145
BW = 10
RR = 5
BF = 43
FM = t0.7
RE = OFF
VR = OFF

Currently, the flashing display shows that there are only 50 gallons remaining. Yesterday, it was around 200 gallons. My question is why did it not regenerate last night at 3:00 AM since it is below the RC of 300 gallons?

Bannerman

Reaction score
why did it not regenerate last night at 3:00 AM since it is below the RC of 300 gallons?
The RC is pre-subtracted from the regenerated capacity. When it indicates 200 gallons remaining, that is the remaining usable capacity and the RC is in addition.

Reach4

Reaction score
Curious why is the BD set to 145 minutes? I thought 60 was standard?
For a typical softener, the injector is such that the brine is drawn in about 15 minutes. The rest of the BD cycle is the slow rinse that slowly washes the salt out of the resin in a low-turbulence way. In an upflow-brining softener, the injector is chosen to draw the brine more slowly to avoid creating channels in the brine. So it takes longer. Similarly it takes longer to remove the salt.

So that would be the reason to make the BD long -- a really slow injector.

To use upflow programming as Nami does, requires more than just the VT setting. It needs a piston made for that, and the injector needs to be in the right spot -- at least that is how it is in the 5810, and I suspect that is how it is in the 5800.

But the count-down thing works the same upflow or downflow.

Nami

Reaction score
The RC is pre-subtracted from the regenerated capacity. When it indicates 200 gallons remaining, that is the remaining usable capacity and the RC is in addition.

OH! I get it now. So, will the volume remaining that flashes on the screen show 0 gallons, or will it start showing whats left of the RC once the usable capacity is depleted? And what happens if my reserve capacity is used before my set regeneration time at 3 AM

Nami

Reaction score
For a typical softener, the injector is such that the brine is drawn in about 15 minutes. The rest of the BD cycle is the slow rinse that slowly washes the salt out of the resin in a low-turbulence way. In an upflow-brining softener, the injector is chosen to draw the brine more slowly to avoid creating channels in the brine. So it takes longer. Similarly it takes longer to remove the salt.

So that would be the reason to make the BD long -- a really slow injector.

To use upflow programming as Nami does, requires more than just the VT setting. It needs a piston made for that, and the injector needs to be in the right spot -- at least that is how it is in the 5810, and I suspect that is how it is in the 5800.

But the count-down thing works the same upflow or downflow.

Yes, that's correct, the injector that I was given with my system is the violet injector #00 which I think is the the 2nd or 3rd smallest injector size, and it is in the lower hole position and my system came with the upflow piston.

Reach4

Reaction score
OH! I get it now. So, will the volume remaining that flashes on the screen show 0 gallons, or will it start showing whats left of the RC once the usable capacity is depleted?
I forget. I think it is some kind of count. You tell us.
And what happens if my reserve capacity is used before my set regeneration time at 3 AM
The hardness leakage is not a sudden change. You will get a bit of extra hardness leakage for use before 3 AM.

Note that the softener is in bypass from backwash, starting at 3 AM, until BF starts. So during the BD and other phases, the softener is in bypass.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct, the injector that I was given with my system is the violet injector #00 which I think is the the 2nd or 3rd smallest injector size.
Do you have 2 cubic ft of resin in a 12x52 tank?

Nami

Reaction score
I forget. I think it is some kind of count. You tell us.
The hardness leakage is not a sudden change. You will get a bit of extra hardness leakage for use before 3 AM.

Note that the softener is in bypass from backwash, starting at 3 AM, until BF starts. So during the BD and other phases, the softener is in bypass.

Ah, I see, so the only way to avoid this is having the dual tank system? Is this upgrade worth having?

Do you have 2 cubic ft of resin in a 12x52 tank?

Yes, that's correct.

DIYMissus

Reaction score
Ah, I see, so the only way to avoid this is having the dual tank system? Is this upgrade worth having?
No its not unless you use a lot of water between 3 and 6 am. If/When you need to replace the system then you could look at the pros and cons of a twin tank but its not worth it in your case to replace a working system just to get a twin tank.

Reach4

Reaction score

Yes, that's correct.
I think you could back off to BD=129. I expect your brine draws out of the brine tank in about 36.2 minutes (yes, my use of a decimal place does imply more precision than is justified), and 3.5 X that should be enough to clear the salt. Maybe even 3x that, but 3.5 X would give you margin.

Nami

Reaction score
I think you could back off to BD=129. I expect your brine draws out of the brine tank in about 36.2 minutes (yes, my use of a decimal place does imply more precision than is justified), and 3.5 X that should be enough to clear the salt. Maybe even 3x that, but 3.5 X would give you margin.

Does having a longer BD hurt the system?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does having a longer BD hurt the system?
No.

The main advantage would be to put the softener out of bypass, and back in service, sooner.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks