Jet pump pressure setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric01234

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently got a new jet pump to replace my old jet pump and I'm having trouble with the installation instructions :

"Observe the pressure gauge on the pump case while the pump is
pumping and continue to adjust the control valve so that the pressure
gauge reads approximately 25 psi and flow and pressure are stable."

No matter whether I tighten or loosen the pressure control valve the pressure gauge maintains 50psi, however if I tighten it all the way the pump starts to rapidly turn off and on.
What am I missing? How do I get down to 25 psi on the gauge? When I watch YouTube videos it seems as though people just prime their jet pump, tighten the prime plug and they're good to go so I'm not sure if I'm overthinking these instructions or just not understanding.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
"Observe the pressure gauge on the pump case while the pump is
pumping and continue to adjust the control valve so that the pressure
gauge reads approximately 25 psi and flow and pressure are stable."
I suspect that may be talking about a setup where you have a pressure gauge in a special place, rather than the the pressure gauge a the pressure tank. I have never adjusted a jet pump regulator or backpressure valve.

Eric01234

Reaction score
I suspect that may be talking about a setup where you have a pressure gauge in a special place, rather than the the pressure gauge a the pressure tank. I have never adjusted a jet pump regulator or backpressure valve.

I am on a 2 pipe system.

I shut off the well to the pressure tank and opened all my faucets, whatever I do I can't get the back pressure below 37-40 psi, I don't know how to bring this number down to 25psi, according to the manual it's possible but I can't figure out where I went wrong. I bought the same pump that was in here before so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it possible this pump is too powerful for my well?
Here is the manual :

https://redlionproducts.com/media/67777/232892_rl_rjc-100_series_manual-2-.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
I shut off the well to the pressure tank and opened all my faucets, whatever I do I can't get the back pressure below 37-40 psi
Sounds like a nice problem to have. I would declare success.

Eric01234

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice problem to have. I would declare success.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the flow rate of the well? It's has 30gpm flow according to the drilling data sheet.

Any negative implications from running above the manufacturer recommendations?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Look at pages 11&13 of the install manual. 11 shows the location of the control valve. 13 is the adjustment of the valve.
did say how deep the well is to decide what orifice to use.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pressure gauge you are looking at "installed into the 1/4" NPT hole on the front of the casing directly in front of the priming port"? Maybe that gives about the same pressure as what the pressure tank sees, and that location would not be significantly different. It is a mystery to me why that 25 psi figure would be written.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If loosening the bolt on the backpressure valve doesn't bring the pump case pressure down, there is either a restriction or the back pressure valve is not opening up as it should and maybe defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks