Series 200 polyethylene pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like to help you but poly never been popular in my circles. I remember hearing of all these lawsuits. Anyway I'm going to look at series 200poly don't know what fittings look like.
hopefully some help arrives

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty common around here in WI that they run poly lines in for the main these days. We use a McDonald compression fitting on the poly:

ford-fitting.jpg

From there, we use brass fittings to hook up the meter, and run copper up the wall to the ceiling, supporting it with bell hangers (there's often a water softener in there, which we also plumb with copper), 90 over, and just get a pex adapter on at that point.

Makes a nice, solid structure for the meter, and it looks nice. I've seen plenty of others' work where they just use pex after the meter, and let it flop where it will, though. Lol

Otherwise, I think the only other fittings you can use on poly are barbed fittings with hose clamps on them.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep kinda refreshed myself on these last night . I don't think they allow it Ca because never seen it used but I haven't done new homes in awhile. around the city the water service runs are short .
Plus we don't have basements the city sets a meter out at curb . plumber runs from there.
There is another fitting for poly a Ford fitting more expensive than a McDonald I believe

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep kinda refreshed myself on these last night . I dont think they allow it Ca because never seen it used but I havent done new homes in awhile. around the city the water service runs are short .
Plus we dont have basements the city sets a meter out at curb . plumber runs from there.
There is another fitting for poly a Ford fitting more expensive than a mcdonald I belive
You know im not talking about that grey pipe similar to PEX right

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With black poly I've used both insert and Ford fittings, though many insert with two stainless hose clamps.

brass-insert-fitting.jpg

Once you have a thread to work with you can transition to something that works with PEX.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes plumber 69 black poly I think the grey is polybutylene but never even seen that well maybe on inside of mobile homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks