Brand new to a well and storage tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

sam huber

Reaction score
Hi,
I am needing to install storage tanks for my well to feed a fire hose, fire sprinkler system and domestic house water. I am not sure what the best way to setup the system as i have read through a lot of information and still have questions. I was hoping to get some advise and help here.

Currently I have a well pump that is feeding two 2500 gallon tanks that are plumbed together to act as 1 large 5000 gallon tank to meet code. 3000 gallons must be reserved for the fire hose, 1000 for fire sprinkers, leaving me 1000 gallons for domestic use. A float valve in the tank would control the well pump and I have to install float/level sensors in one of the tanks to maintain proper water levels. I have my piping coming from the tanks that tee off in one direction to the fire hose hookup and then other goes towards a 80 gallon pressure tank that then feeds to the house and fire sprinkler system. This line has to split off again to feed the system.

First question - do i need a jet pump from my tanks to the pressure tank or can the gravity feed of tank suffice? The pressure tank is sitting right next to my water tanks.

2) What would be the best option for a normally open solenoid valve being controlled by the float/level sensor in the tank to cut off supply to the domestic water?

Thanks for all the help and advise.

Reach4

Reaction score
First question - do i need a jet pump from my tanks to the pressure tank or can the gravity feed of tank suffice? The pressure tank is sitting right next to my water tanks.
You need a pump, but not necessarily a jet pump.
2) What would be the best option for a normally open solenoid valve being controlled by the float/level sensor in the tank to cut off supply to the domestic water?
One possibility would be to have separate pumps for fire and for sprinklers. Do I understand that when the tank is down by 1000, you need to cut off water for normal household use, and still pump water to the fire sprinklers?

Submersible pump(s) in tank would usually be 1/2 HP 10 gpm pumps.

index.php
shows a submersible pump in a tank, rather than using a jet pump or multi-stage pump outside of the tank. The pump-down switch for the pump feeding the household could be set higher. But yes, you could control a solenoid valve to block the household water while continuing to pressurize the sprinkler system.

The pump up switch controls the well pump.

sam huber

Reaction score
Yes, if I use up my 1000 gallons of domestic water i have to shutoff my domestic water so that i don't eat into the sprinkler water or fire hose water until the well pump refills the domestic water level. The same goes if i use up the 1000 gallons of the sprinkler water, i have to shutoff water to everything to reserve the 3000 gallons for the fire hose. I don't need a pump for the fire hose, the fire department has the pumps to pull the water from the tanks.

The only other way to do it would be to insert additional fittings at the 3000 and 4000 gallon levels that are dedicated to the domestic water and sprinkler water individually and have a separate pump for each. I wouldn't have to have any switches or solenoid valves, just the added cost of the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a Cycle Stop Valve you could use one large pump to supply the irrigation and house use. We also do this with even larger pumps for systems that must supply a high flow rate to fire sprinkler systems in the house. You just don't need as large a pump since you are not supplying the fire sprinklers.

On the line to the house and irrigation just install regular 24V solenoid or sprinkler valves. Just use a couple of pump down float switches at the 3 and 4 thousand gallon level tied to the corresponding solenoid valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks