Leak in 'Lead' tub drain pipe. HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

paul descano

Reaction score
i have a small leak in a lead pipe that goes from my tub trap to the cast iron stack. is there any way to seal the leak without having it replaced? was thinking Fernco Pow-R wrap, or Hercules Oatey 25215 Plastic Seal Caulk. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not much experiance with lead here from me! using lead or solder I would think would be best . pictures of it might help theres all kinds of goop and fixes that might not be good so lets see if someone has better or product they feel is good.

paul descano

Reaction score
Not much experiance with lead here from me! using lead or solder I would think would be best . pictures of it might help theres all kinds of goop and fixes that might not be good so lets see if someone has better or product they feel is good.

Attachments

• 20200616_183654.jpg
    20200616_183654.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 145

Reach4

Reaction score
I might wrap that with a few somewhat tight wraps of self-fusing silicone tape. And then follow that with some stretchy tape. However that caulking gun stuff you mentioned, then wrapped in stretchy tape, might be as good or better. I have used the silicone tape, and then covered that with stretchy tape.

A plumber would probably remove that lead part from the cast iron, and connect plastic pipe to that cast iron hub with a Fernco "donut". That would be a sure good-looking way.

paul descano

Reaction score
I might wrap that with a few somewhat tight wraps of self-fusing silicone tape. And then follow that with some stretchy tape. However that caulking gun stuff you mentioned, then wrapped in stretchy tape, might be as good or better. I have used the silicone tape, and then covered that with stretchy tape.

A plumber would probably remove that lead part from the cast iron, and connect plastic pipe to that cast iron hub with a Fernco "donut". That would be a sure good-looking way.
Thanks Reach4. I'm trying to avoid calling the plumber at the moment. But you give me good food for thought. Is that silicone tape removable? Of that doesn't hold,, could I remove it then try the caulk sealant?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that silicone tape removable?
It only sticks to itself. So a cuticle scissors could remove it without leaving a residue.

Thicker tape is better. Not cheap.

There is a lot to be said for getting a plumber. Boom (metaphorically). It's done.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im just wondering if you cant solder it up but havent worked with that. Mostly ive done new construction with some service and remodel but Havent worked that much on homes befor the war and usualyits extensive gut jobs.
All of those tapes and caulk I havent used those fixes much but it can come in handy so Im all ears guys. No shame in a creative fix
Is the tub still there? that looks like a drum trap . if you were to solder that is there access below?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks