Cannot Unscrew Rotor Cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Here2day

Reaction score
I have a Hunter PGP that no longer rotates. I have checked the inlet filter and it is fine. I think the gears must be stripped and want to replace the guts. I bought a new PGP rotor for the guts, but I am unable to unscrew the cap. Seems stupid, I know, but I am stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? the largest channel locks don't really fit, and even my gorilla friend can't get the top off with his bare hands. Do they make a special wrench for these rotor caps?

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
I've rebuilt a few and its a serious knuckle buster getting them apart. I clamped the top into my bench vise and took a very large pair of channel locks on the body. By very large I mean nearly two feet long. If you don't have a pair of channel locks that long you could try a large pipe wrench. There's nothing special about getting them apart other than some serious muscle and some good leverage.

Here2day

Reaction score
I've rebuilt a few and its a serious knuckle buster getting them apart. I clamped the top into my bench vise and took a very large pair of channel locks on the body. By very large I mean nearly two feet long. If you don't have a pair of channel locks that long you could try a large pipe wrench. There's nothing special about getting them apart other than some serious muscle and some good leverage.
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I never could get one apart. Everytime I tried using channel locks I ended up breaking the housing. For the many years I used these Hunters, I never had one where the seals went. It was always they stop rotating or the head got snapped off from mowers, etc. Thanks for the info about the seals.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Worth it took some practice to come up with the right technique to get them apart. There are tabs on the top that protrude along the edge. I use these in my bench vice to prevent the top from slipping in the vice jaws. That way you don't have to put so much pressure on the top that you crack it. Then if you clamp the channel locks just under the top and crank like hell they do come loose. But I have a very large pair of channel locks that provide a lot of leverage.

I had the hunters all over my yard when we moved in leaking like crazy. So for about a buck fifty each I replaced the seals on about 10 heads. I've not tried digging into the guts farther.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks