Water near top of foundation behind dish washer

Users who are viewing this thread

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Hi,

I just noticed some water seepage from a horizontal crack near the top of my foundation. There is a capped white pipe nearby, that I do not know the purpose of. The brick under the capped pipe seems dry. The dish washer was running. I have not noticed any water inside. No other water related issues that I can think of.

Thoughts?

2020-07-22.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some DW have a lower panel that can be removed to gain access and is generally needed to install the thing...I'd pop that off and take a look to see if there's any evidence of moisture there. It could be in the drain, the supply, or the DW itself, or something entirely coincidental.

That fitting looks like it may be a cleanout.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 inch clean out is the white cap. Dumb question is kitchen on other side? are there water pipes in that wall? are there water pipes coming from below ? or above?
It could be that 2 inch line has a leak in the wall you might have water lines that are leaking right there. endless posibilitys . you might try looking around on the other side of that wall and see whats there

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
There is a sink next to the dish washer. There is no water under the sink. The water is mostly gone after using the dish washer earlier today. I'll attempt look under the dish washer.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fill the DW with water and have someone end the cycle so water is pumped out of the DW while you are outside to observe. If no water from the DW, fill a sink and have someone drain it while you are outside.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
It is damp/moist but not super wet under the dish washer. Seems to be some pink slime. Possibly each cycle outputs some water that runs toward back? I should observe this area while draining?

Attachments

• 20200722_184225.jpg
    20200722_184225.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 209

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it could be the drain pipe. try running kitchen sink for a long time see if water appears again. check under dw good idea as well. run another cycle , take note where black hose from dishwasher leads

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
should be dry as a bone. keep running it and looking till you find it. sounds like the dishwasher itself but want to be 100 percent sure

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
I will run it and observe inside and out. One thing I'll mention in case it matters. Water sits under the filter of the DW. Can't remember how long I've seen that behavior. Attached pic.

Didn't see a black rubber drain hose. Might have to pull the DW out for that?

Attachments

• 20200722_191555.jpg
    20200722_191555.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 192

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
I see that it is the DW leaking while washing. I took video since it is hard to see. I'll pull some pics.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Ok, here is where the water is visible (red arrow) dripping out. Exactly where is hard to tell.

Attachments

• 2020-07-22 19_37_55-Window.jpg
    2020-07-22 19_37_55-Window.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 193

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a sink next to the dish washer. There is no water under the sink. The water is mostly gone after using the dish washer earlier today. I'll attempt look under the dish washer.
Look out there before and after running the dishwasher next time. The water you saw could have been from rain. I am not saying that is likely, but you might as well look.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score

So it appears to be leaking from very near this rubber gasket that this guy replaces. This is the same kind of dishwasher, very similar. (Updated to a better video). Looks very easy to replace.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your photo in post #11 shows a crusty residue on the same part he removed in the video. That crusty build-up is a result of leakage that may have been occurring for some time.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
If it has been occurring for a while I hope it has not done too much damage. Maybe it is a good thing that the water seemed to find its way out of foundation. I will probably try to install one of those water diverters under it now. This DW seems to have a design flaw.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It seems to be a lot of water on the concrete for a very small leak from the dishwasher. You would think there be a lot of water under the dishwasher. Keep a towel under it for a while to see how much water is leaking until you get it repaired or replaced. All dishwashers leave a little water at the very bottom of of the wash tub and drain.
On the outside at the clean out the space is very large whereby rain water or from irrigation sprinklers ie entering it. The two slots at the motor joints that are open are weep holes to allow moisture or water to drain and for the wall behind the brick to breathe. At the cleanout I would fill the gap with spray foam after it is well dry and the dishwasher leak taken care of. For now stuff a rag in it.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info. It wasn’t super small. There was a 8 inch diameter puddle after about 3 minutes of running. Seemed to run toward the wall pretty good.

For assessing damage, my cousin suggested cutting 2 holes in sheet rock, pointing a fan in one. Maybe some damp rid. When dried out use small drill bit to test for mushy wood vs solid wood. Any other ideas?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Assuming your DW has the same wearable part as shown being replaced in the video, if that is the source of the leak, the repair appears to be a straightforward DIY task for someone with even modest repair skills.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You'll be pulling out the dishwasher anyway to repair it, then you can assess the damage and I agree that the wall needs to be opened. I assume the house is on a slab, therefore, most newer homes, the last 30-40 years, the sill plates were built with pressure treated wood. Any wood touching concrete must be treated lumber. You maybe ok except for some drywall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thats progress! besides the water going towards wall and then weeping outside getting under flooring could be a concern.
I mentioned black hose but most arent black at the dishwasher but your doing pretty good here. Dishwasher repairman I am not (Though I try to fix my own as well)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks