Window replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I’m replacing original aluminum windows from 1979. The windows are on my second story and my 20ft ladder won’t let me reach the top of them. They’re held on with a nailing fin that’s behind 2 layers of siding. Also, they’re single hung windows and the top panes won’t come out.

Does anybody have an idea for how to remove the windows from inside the house? Pulling the siding back to pull the nails from the nailing fin would only work across the bottom because the top window pane won’t come out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With aluminum windows you can remove the glass and then pull the framing inward, collapsing them which pulls the fins out from under the siding.
Broken glass is very dangerous, so just a warning there. I feel for the window installers that take this risk every day. I have replaced a few windows this way, and I'm glad it's a rare occurrence. If this method is used, the fins on the new windows are cut off and the new windows are screwed in from the inside of the window frame.

And there are some installers that do cut back the siding and lift them out from the wall, installing new trim around the windows.

Rburt5

Reaction score
With aluminum windows you can remove the glass and then pull the framing inward, collapsing them which pulls the fins out from under the siding.
Broken glass is very dangerous, so just a warning there. I feel for the window installers that take this risk every day. I have replaced a few windows this way, and I'm glad it's a rare occurrence. If this method is used, the fins on the new windows are cut off and the new windows are screwed in from the inside of the window frame.

And there are some installers that do cut back the siding and lift them out from the wall, installing new trim around the windows.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the quick response. I’m going to try again to get the glass out of the top sash without breaking it so I can do it like that. In case I can’t get the sash or the glass out, would an oscillating multi tool be able to cut off the fin from inside the house? Then I would just leave the old fin behind the siding and put in the replacement window.

Rburt5

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. My meter didn’t read any voltage. This sounds like something probably over my head. My knowledge pretty much ends at matching white to white and black to black lol. Probably time to give up and pay the electrician to make sure it’s safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks