P trap and adapter question

Users who are viewing this thread

A.Tomas

Reaction score
So my question Is similar to a thread I have read here , I did reply to that thread but bc it’s a older thread , I’m asking it’s again bc not sure if I will get a reply.
Anyways I went and picked up a trap adapter for my waste stub out and it will not allow me to add a washer. In the past diy plumbing experiences with trap adapters I always added a washer around the end of p trap pipe with the compression nut and screwed that into adapter threads. I see this adapter I picked up must have a washer built in because it won’t allow me to add a washer, compression nut won’t screw in with a washer. So if this doesn’t need a added washer bc the washer is indeed built into the nut are these any good compared to the standard nut and separate washer? Do they leak more, less or just as good?

Thanks in advance

A.Tomas

Reaction score
That's all you'll find at HD or Lowes. Should work. They make everything cheaper now.

If you want something a little studier try this. They have different configurations. Look around on the site.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-1-2-x-1-1-4-dwv-trap-adapter-male-sp-x-sj-d115-212.html
Yeah just terrible, everywhere you turn everything is made cheaper in this world. Hard to find quality goods. Thanks for reply. I might look into that but I have a serious problem where previous homeowner or handyman to the last owner didn’t put a Compression nut and washer or nut with a washer built in on the last tubular pipe part of p trap that going into stub out. So ya that nut on stub out threads isn’t even there. Omg. It’s behind a wall and I kept getting a bad smell very intermittent Over the last year when I ran my whole house/attic fan. Thought it was my shower p trap drying out because it doesn’t get used much. Anyways I’m running to hardware soon just got out of work and getting a few compression nuts and washers.

*** this is what I’m gonna try for now. Tell me if I should do other wise. I don’t want to have to replace existing threaded adapter, can’t I just pull tubular pvc out of stub out and attach a compression nut over tubular and then attach to threads? Or should I saw off and glue a whole new trap adapter assembly like you showed. I feel like I should be able to to slap a nut on there or would the integrity be better to have brand new. Either way thats what I’m gonna do for now but let me know If it should be cut and glue whole new for possible future problems? Thanks against

A.Tomas

Reaction score
That's all you'll find at HD or Lowes. Should work. They make everything cheaper now.

If you want something a little studier try this. They have different configurations. Look around on the site.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-1-2-x-1-1-4-dwv-trap-adapter-male-sp-x-sj-d115-212.html

Yeah just terrible, everywhere you turn everything is made cheaper in this world. Hard to find quality goods. Thanks for reply. I might look into that but I have a serious problem where previous homeowner or handyman to the last owner didn’t put a Compression nut and washer or nut with a washer built in on the last tubular pipe part of p trap that going into stub out. So ya that nut on stub out threads isn’t even there. Omg. It’s behind a wall and I kept getting a bad smell very intermittent Over the last year when I ran my whole house/attic fan. Thought it was my shower p trap drying out because it doesn’t get used much. Anyways I’m running to hardware soon just got out of work and getting a few compression nuts and washers.

*** this is what I’m gonna try for now. Tell me if I should do other wise. I don’t want to have to replace existing threaded adapter, can’t I just pull tubular pvc out of stub out and attach a compression nut over tubular and then attach to threads? Or should I saw off and glue a whole new trap adapter assembly like you showed. I feel like I should be able to to slap a nut on there or would the integrity be better to have brand new. Either way thats what I’m gonna do for now but let me know If it should be cut and glue whole new for possible future problems? Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a 5 minute job whatever floats your boat . Ive installed countless of both , if it leaks replace it

A.Tomas

Reaction score
Ok so I hit a Roadblock. I took all apart and was ready to put together The missing adapter nut and replace p trap . The inner part of existing adapter were the washer would be pressed in from compression nut and make a water tight slip joint has a deformation. It would leak. Outside threads are in good shape. Not agreeing with who did this but see why they didn’t want to take correct measures And fixing right, and Therefore tried to put putty in there. Wow, slackers!! Before I cut drywall and the vertical drain pipe recessed back in the wall to glue a new 90° to attach/glue a new adapter, is there any less of a headache to do all that? I’m looking currently online and can’t find anything, but I am looking for a adapter pc. that perhaps Has a threaded hub end. I’ll attach a pic if I can figure out how. But picture a standard trap adapter with the slip joint end and the side you glue has threads. And I Could screw on a new adapter with threads instead of a glued side over that existing one with some pipe dope? Is there such a thing? Or better option before I pull out vanity and make a bigger hole in the wall?? Thanks again and sorry for the long descriptive verbiage

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qxft3JWToqwRxItFTpx7WQM7LXuFnVks/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KsVG3jhnInUVWm2h_4y-c8Nv44wjSgU_/view?usp=drivesdk

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry just saw your picture you need more than a plastic nut and a washer . thats plumbed WRONG there is no vent . there is an issue

Reach4

Reaction score
And I Could screw on a new adapter with threads instead of a glued side over that existing one with some pipe dope? Is there such a thing?
Probably -- depends on size of threads. Is that 1-1/2 inch nominal, about 1.8 to 1.9 OD?

Good chance all you need at the wall is a 1-1/2 in. Plastic Slip Joint Nut and washer.
reach4-trap-and-nut.jpg

But that does not address the lack of vent.
The Rectorseal 97402 Magic Trap with the Rectorseal 97400 AAV, if the AAV clears the bottom of the sink, could add the vent you need. Plus it would include the nut and presumably washer.

97402-3.jpg
I have not used those, but they look useful. See the top of page 4 of 6 of https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/rectorseal-97400-productoverview.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
im sure the nut and washer could be ordered and delivered easier than all this
Seems to lack a vent, with elbow in the wall instead of a santee.

Snip attached is from of his IMG_6828.PNG Google Drive picture.

Attachments

• img_3a.jpg
    img_3a.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks