Plumbers Grease

Users who are viewing this thread

Hushed

Reaction score
As a DIY guy, I am getting tired of changing out my own shower cartridges, my mom's, and my mother in law's. I have decided I am going to start putting in the all brass units, and swapping out the O Rings and start saving some money. That should also save extra trips to the store, which is the real annoyance.

Now the cartridges in the past seemed to have come pre lubricated. So I'll need some silicone lube for for the o Rings. Now my wife and I had purchased some silicone personal lubricant, but it doesn't work for us. But seeing as I have this bottle sitting around, I am wondering if it would be a good substitute.

The chemical ingredients are Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone and it says it's compatible with "natural rubber latex, polyisoprene, and polyurethane".

Should this be OK for O rings?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get a tube of Molykote 111. A 5.3 ounce tube will last a lifetime.

For less money, you can buy Danco 88693 at a local hardware or home improvement store. https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ That might last for 3 or 6 faucets. You apply very lightly. I don't want to think about personal lubricant.

Last edited:

Hushed

Reaction score
Molykote 111. A 5.3 ounce tub
Thanks for the recommendation. I went ahead and purchased some. I think I will put some in a container along with the old O ring and see if it breaks down over time. Though that wouldn't address some other questions regarding the thickness of the lubricant, but I could compare once I get the new stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks