Happy 4th of July! Laundry room questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

NoPlanB

Reaction score
I'm completely renovating our northern Michigan cottage & am a bit confused with dwv plumbing for this utility/boiler room. Wonder if this layout is correct. Everything is dryfit.

From the right will be a washing machine, in the middle an 18" wide laundry tub, then left of that the dryer. The vent pipe shown is 2" to a Studor AAV recessed box. I could use 1.5" vent pipe instead.

I'll also be sure to use nail guards on the studs.

Attachments

• 20200703_205414_HDR.jpg
    20200703_205414_HDR.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 167

Reach4

Reaction score
Michigan IPC.
Standpipe is vented in your photo, although there will probably be objection to using that sanitary tee on its back . Laundry tub is not vented so far in your photo.

IMG_5.jpg

This shows a 2x2x1.5 combo with a santee right above it for the laundry tub.
For the standpipe vent, I show a 2x2x1.5 wye with a 45 above that, but another combo would work too.

If the drain pipe is not too low, you could maybe add a sanitary tee above the drain line, and share the AAV. Another possibility is the Rectorseal 97402 if the AAV that goes on top of it clears the bottom of the tub with room to change out the AAV.

97402-3.jpg

http://media.iccsafe.org/news/icc-enews/2018v15n13/2018SC-IPC802.pdf describes another possibility. As I read it, the 2018 change was to allow it in apartments, and this was available for houses in earlier versions.

index.php

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach 4 shows 2 good options I've never tied into stand pipe like that thought about it but since not legal in my area never tried that

NoPlanB

Reaction score
view
Michigan IPC.
Standpipe is vented in your photo, although there will probably be objection to using that sanitary tee on its back . Laundry tub is not vented so far in your photo.
View attachment 64103
This shows a 2x2x1.5 combo with a santee right above it for the laundry tub.
For the standpipe vent, I show a 2x2x1.5 wye with a 45 above that, but another combo would work too.

If the drain pipe is not too low, you could maybe add a sanitary tee above the drain line, and share the AAV. Another possibility is the Rectorseal 97402 if the AAV that goes on top of it clears the bottom of the tub with room to change out the AAV.
97402-3.jpg

http://media.iccsafe.org/news/icc-enews/2018v15n13/2018SC-IPC802.pdf describes another possibility. As I read it, the 2018 change was to allow it in apartments, and this was available for houses in earlier versions.
index.php

Thanks for the quick response & all the options. I reworked - from the left I used a 2 x 2 x 1.5 T to drain the laundry tub. Then moving to the left used a 2 x 2 x 1.5 Wye, changed the vertical vent pipe to 1.5" (perhaps irrelevant). Basically the same setup I already had.

If I use a sanitary T pointing up drom the main horizontal drain line, the stack another T on top it will be to high to drain the tub. Possible option use a shallow (less deep) bar type sink which would suck.

I liked rectorseal idea except my tub drain hole is near the wall so under sink plumbing seems like a potential Rube Goldberg contraption on a skinny 18" wide tub.

Is the sanitary T on its side the real problem? I'm pretty sure I may have done that in the past without issue. I've built 3 houses but last one was 20 years ago. Something inspectors don't like to see now days?

Having trouble adding pics from phone so I'll post this then try again.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I liked rectorseal idea except my tub drain hole is near the wall so under sink plumbing seems like a potential Rube Goldberg contraption on a skinny 18" wide tub.
How about bringing the trap arm to the left of the sink? Then you may have other options.

The green arrow in my sketch is intentionally vague. AAV not in the wall? Long sweep or wye at 45 feeding into the wall but being visible for a bit?

Is the sanitary T on its side the real problem? I'm pretty sure I may have done that in the past without issue. I've built 3 houses but last one was 20 years ago.
And those are going to work great.
Something inspectors don't like to see now days?
There seems to be different opinions of how IPC treats this. Can you ask your inspector? I am not a plumber.

Attachments

• IMG_6.png
    IMG_6.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my code (UPC) there is no question putting a santee on its back is illegal. did you consider a wye on back then a street 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 santee then on top of the santee a 45 ?. that should work out as low as I can think of . a lot of things work well like in other homes you built so if you choose to do them that way fine I don't think you'll ever have a problem its just not to code as far as I know.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" Wye
p601-251-3.jpg

and a 1-1/2" Sanitary Street Tee?
p404-251-3.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sinks require a 2 inch line at least for UPC. 2 inch drain 1 1/2 inch trap and arm. Not sure if he wants it legal or just close and workable?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks