Outbuilding water supply question

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocketman69

Reaction score
I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a nudge in the right direction.

I have a 30x50 concrete workshop down the hill from my house. There's a two story "apartment" that has a footprint of roughly 28'x22' with 10' ceilings on both levels attached to this workshop. When we bought the place we intended to have my wife's mother eventually move into the apartment, but it needs a lot of work before that can happen.

There is a 3/4” copper water supply line that runs from the basement in my house underground to the apartment that is currently just cut off inside the lower level of the apartment about 6" from the concrete wall. There is a shutoff valve in my house to kill the apartment supply.

I intend to run the plumbing in the apartment using PEX-A, but need to run that supply pipe to the utility closet. I plan to run up (inside a framed wall) from the current stub along the ceiling to the utility closet.

My question is: should I first tee at the stub, and add a valve on the bottom side of that tee for drainage? I already planned to have an access panel in that location as that's also where the phone/cable/data comes from the house.

Sorry for the long winded post. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
I intend to run the plumbing in the apartment using PEX-A, but need to run that supply pipe to the utility closet. I plan to run up (inside a framed wall) from the current stub along the ceiling to the utility closet.

My question is: should I first tee at the stub, and add a valve on the bottom side of that tee for drainage? I already planned to have an access panel in that location as that's also where the phone/cable/data comes from the house.
I think you should first have a shutoff valve, accessible to the residents, to block water into the apartment. I don't see the need for a drain. There are faucets in the apartment. I am not a pro.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would T it and install a ball valve for a drain in case you want to shut the heat off to the apartment and blow the lines out for winter and I would install a ball valve like Reach said so the residents have a way to turn the water off.

Rocketman69

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I was already planning on having a shutoff in the utility closet for the residents, but the thought of having one at the stub seems like a good idea in case I have any issues with the line between the stub and closet.

I was just concerned with being able to shut off at the house drain the lines at the apartment for the exact reason Martin Boring mentioned.

I appreciate the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks