Trying to figure out the function of my main water valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

fizzle7

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post on this forum, I had a question regarding my home water valve. I assume the red lever controls the water from the mains to the house. But the two blue levers I am confused by. I don't want to just start turning things without understanding the impact, so I was hoping someone might know.

I have an underground sprinkler system so I assume the two blue levers are part of a double check backflow system.

The question however is why does it appear one valve is open and one is closed? Meaning, the levers are in two different positions. Is this typical of such a system? Or does it mean my sprinkler water supply is shut off? etc.

As a side note, my sprinkler system does not currently operate and I have wondered if it's simply due to the valve being closed.

Thanks for the help and please ignore the spider webs!

main.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an underground sprinkler system so I assume the two blue levers are part of a double check backflow system.
I suspect there may have been such a device there in the past, and somebody eliminated that.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Irrigation systems should have a backflow device that is approved by either the state or city. Thease devices keep your water supply and in case of city water your neighbors water safe from ground water entering the water supply when something happens to the supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks