Paying a licensed plumber to check my work and call for inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
I would like to start by saying, I am a very experienced diy person and have built, plumbed and ran electric systems in my homes. I am putting in a bathroom in my home and have a permit. Under slab done and inspected, passed. Now can't get that plumber to come back for the topout. I think he is doing larger jobs. I would like to complete the topout and have a licensed plumber check my work and call in for an inspection for a fee. Again, I am very experienced and know the codes. Is this a reasonable idea? What might be the fee for this?

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
I would like to start by saying, I am a very experienced diy person and have built, plumbed and ran electric systems in my homes. I am putting in a bathroom in my home and have a permit. Under slab done and inspected, passed. Now can't get that plumber to come back for the topout. I think he is doing larger jobs. I would like to complete the topout and have a licensed plumber check my work and call in for an inspection for a fee. Again, I am very experienced and know the codes. Is this a reasonable idea? What might be the fee for this?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In NYC and other civilized areas

If a plumber calls for an inspection performed by others it is considered a "cover up" pimping out their license the plumber can have thier license revoked

When I do a plumbing inspectons as an expert witness the first question I ask is Who did the work

A plumber who signs off someone else's work is taking on full responsibility of the work

I was offered $10,000 to sign off a fire suppression system and I said thanks but no thanks
Their are licensing laws for a reason

If you "know the codes" why not apply for a general contractors license and in some cases you can do some minor plumbing and electrical and roofing work with that type of license

The plumbing license does not protect the license holder it does protect the consumer .

This is like asking a DR to allow a DIY to remove a kidney and the DR signs off saying they did it
What your asking is not only illegal it is unethical for a licensed contractor to sign off

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
In NYC and other civilized areas

If a plumber calls for an inspection performed by others it is considered a "cover up" pimping out their license the plumber can have thier license revoked

When I do a plumbing inspectons as an expert witness the first question I ask is Who did the work

A plumber who signs off someone else's work is taking on full responsibility of the work

I was offered $10,000 to sign off a fire suppression system and I said thanks but no thanks
Their are licensing laws for a reason

If you "know the codes" why not apply for a general contractors license and in some cases you can do some minor plumbing and electrical and roofing work with that type of license

The plumbing license does not protect the license holder it does protect the consumer .

This is like asking a DR to allow a DIY to remove a kidney and the DR signs off saying they did it
What your asking is not only illegal it is unethical for a licensed contractor to sign off

I'm not talking about removing a kidney, just putting in some cpvc. I am 70 and don't really have a desire for another career, but thanks for the idea.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not hire a willing plumber for labor only? There are plumbers who would do that.
You supply the materials.
This is physical work, and at 70 you'd appreciate not having pains and aches all over.
This way you save money, materially involved and get your plumber to call for inspection.
And of course you could do the finish plumbing: fixtures and trims.
Kosher isn't it?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
July I will be 72 and tday I was working on three different jobs

Age is a state of mind

I lifted up a General super 90 snake by my self placed it on a van and it only weights 234 pounds which is 34 pounds more then I weight

If you really want to get a hold of a plumber contact the local building department they will have a lost of all thoe qualified in your area

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
Why not hire a willing plumber for labor only? There are plumbers who would do that.
You supply the materials.
This is physical work, and at 70 you'd appreciate not having pains and aches all over.
This way you save money, materially involved and get your plumber to call for inspection.
And of course you could do the finish plumbing: fixtures and trims.
Kosher isn't it?
Yes I think this is the way to go, thanks!

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
July I will be 72 and tday I was working on three different jobs

Age is a state of mind

I lifted up a General super 90 snake by my self placed it on a van and it only weights 234 pounds which is 34 pounds more then I weight

If you really want to get a hold of a plumber contact the local building department they will have a lost of all thoe qualified in your area
I have been fine framing, moving appliances..then I lifted a 60# bag of mortar and strained my back a week ago. Its ok now but gotta watch that back. Yes, I will call the building dept.

Nancy Fryhover

Reaction score
So I called the original plumber back one more time, and he showed up when he said he would. Did not happen several times before. We had a cordial chat on the phone and when he got here after lunch, I offered him $200 to finish gluing the cpvc water lines. He said sure and had it done in 30 minutes. He could have said no since I had done some of it. He ended up charging $150 and called for inspection which passed. I had pinned myself in a corner but thank goodness he is a nice guy. I won't do that again. Then the electrician came and did his job (I didn't touch it at all) and other than his helper falling through the ceiling (one leg), it looks great and it passed. Now on to sheetrock!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I called the original plumber back one more time, and he showed up when he said he would. Did not happen several times before. We had a cordial chat on the phone and when he got here after lunch, I offered him $200 to finish gluing the cpvc water lines. He said sure and had it done in 30 minutes. He could have said no since I had done some of it. He ended up charging $150 and called for inspection which passed. I had pinned myself in a corner but thank goodness he is a nice guy. I won't do that again. Then the electrician came and did his job (I didn't touch it at all) and other than his helper falling through the ceiling (one leg), it looks great and it passed. Now on to sheetrock!
Dont know what araingements you made with "plumber" but have licensed contractors here and when we have a contract are obligated to perform. sure you can blow of a customer. But I have a commitment to finish the job. I pull a permit im obligated to do the job. He dosent sound like a "nice" guy to me. Somethings wrong there. but thankfuly you got it done.
We call it an abandoned job Ive finished them befor. Im careful and never had to sighn off as being responceablefor the work done by others

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The building dept will seldom "recommend"ANYONE.

Its kind of a conflict of interest , but some might tell an inquirey that company xyz is local to the town and does a lot of work such as what your interested in. Or they could give you a list of contractors that hold a city buisness licsence. Neither are "Recomendation" just facts. I dont think its proper for them to say hire this guy he always passes inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks