Moen Single Handle Kitchen Faucet Loose

Users who are viewing this thread

clix

Reaction score
I have a Arbor style Moen, single handle kitchen faucet where the handle will rattle back and forth when moved. At first I thought it was just the hex set screw for the handle, but that didn't help. I took off the handle and the housing that and see that the housing that the cartridge is seated is what's moving.

There appear to be two brass nuts, one buried inside the faucet body that could only be reached with a something like a spanner wrench with 2+ inch pins on it and then one on the outside. The one on the outside is round around the edge, but does have recessed holes for a spanner to fit in.

Before I try something like wrapping the nut with a towel and trying to tighten the outer nut, I thought I'd check to see if anyone knows what may be causing this and how to solve. I wouldn't think it's just a bad cartridge (given that the housing moves and there are no leaks) but would be happy if that's what everyone thinks needs to be replaced.

I've linked a video to see how the housing moves. (I have 3 of these faucets in my house and the other 2 do not wiggle like this.) https://photos.app.goo.gl/66gWnBRraekitRNV6

Thanks!

moen_1255_spec.jpg

JerryR

Reaction score
Call Moen for lifetime warranty replacement or repair parts. 1-800-289-6636

clix

Reaction score
I see someone included a picture of the components in an exploded view, thanks! The part that is rattling is not pictured (it's inside the base of the faucet in the diagram) and is what the cartridge is inserted into.

wbr

Reaction score
Since this was the top google hit for "Moen Arbor loose cartridge", I think this would be a valid bump. There is a brass ring around the cartridge assembly that needs tightening, that is all.

Remove the handle with your hex tool. Then remove the "handle dome" with your hands. It's plastic, so don't use metal tools, just a good firm grip. Then look inside the housing, past the brass assembly that sticks out. You'll see a brass ring around the assembly, and it will have a couple of deep notches. I used my hex tool, inserted into one of the ring's notches, to gently spin the ring clockwise, while holding and jiggling the cartridge assembly, until everything was tight. Put it all back together, and you're good to go.

RDR

Reaction score
Since this was the top google hit for "Moen Arbor loose cartridge", I think this would be a valid bump. There is a brass ring around the cartridge assembly that needs tightening, that is all.

Remove the handle with your hex tool. Then remove the "handle dome" with your hands. It's plastic, so don't use metal tools, just a good firm grip. Then look inside the housing, past the brass assembly that sticks out. You'll see a brass ring around the assembly, and it will have a couple of deep notches. I used my hex tool, inserted into one of the ring's notches, to gently spin the ring clockwise, while holding and jiggling the cartridge assembly, until everything was tight. Put it all back together, and you're good to go.
Thanks I happen to have the same faucet with the same problem. I saw this ring and thought it may be the issue but did not know how to tighten and was not sure it would actually do anything. Will try this before calling Moen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks