Reducing 2” to 1 1/2” kitchen pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Akadb

Reaction score
I am a complete beginner so please forgive my ignorance. I am replacing the kitchen sink and disposal in a house I’m renovating and as I was removing the old ones I realized the pipes are 2” instead of the 1 1/2” I was expecting. Is there a reducer that will fit the end of the tailpiece coming out of the wall to transition to a 1 1/2” J-trap? I could not find anything at the local home improvement stores or any information online about those specific sizes. If not, what else can I do here? Should also add that I’m moving from a double basin sink to single basin.

0C1391A0-7DA4-4D12-85FF-50A156D7F105.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1.5" pipe that is ABS or PVC is about 2" on the outside diameter.
The p-trap below is a standard 1.5" tubular trap that fits into a trap adapter that glues onto the pipe from the wall and fits inside sealing with the slip joint washer and nut.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If your using a disposal I would use a 2 x 1 1/2 P trap not reduce the size of the traps outlet

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your using a disposal I would use a 2 x 1 1/2 P trap not reduce the size of the traps outlet

If the disposer is less than eight years old, the blades are still sharp enough to make small little chips.
After eight years, things get dull and you wind up with big problems downstream when the size of the chips get much larger. Ten years is the max age for a disposer if you want it to actually work like it's supposed to. They may spin, but they also need to chip that stuff into little bits for you too.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How does that sort of trap comply with, e.g. UPC 1003.3, which says in part "The trap shall be the same size as the trap arm to which it is connected." Is it considered a 2" trap with a 1-1/2" inlet?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
How does that sort of trap comply with, e.g. UPC 1003.3, which says in part "The trap shall be the same size as the trap arm to which it is connected." Is it considered a 2" trap with a 1-1/2" inlet?

Cheers, Wayne
I don't think IPC has that. It says
1002.5 Size of fixture traps. Fixture trap size shall be sufficient to drain the fixture rapidly and not less than the size indicated in Table 709.1. A trap shall not be larger than the drainage pipe into which the trap discharges.​
Maybe there is somewhere else that speaks to the trap arm and the trap being the same size, but I did not find it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks