Basement waste pump draining issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike101

Reaction score
I installed a Liberty waste pump in basement for toilet to run into city hook up eight feet up. The line is 2 in. sch 40 and wye's into the 2 in sch 40 from kitchen drain upstairs about 16 feet or so down line from the kitchen drain. I'm getting a girgle in kitchen drain when pump runs in basement, nothing is coming up into sink just the girgle. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

drain issue.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the Liberty pump housing vented to the outdoors (It cannot be connected to the house plumbing vent)? How & where is the sink vented? When does the gurgle occur, just as the pump starts, during or after it shuts off? Are there any vents past the wye?

I think air in the pipe is being pushed out and the sink is the only place it can escape to. If the sink uses an AAV, it won't work for this situation.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the Liberty pump housing vented to the outdoors (It cannot be connected to the house plumbing vent)?
I could not find anything that says IPC requires a dedicated/exclusive vent for an ejector pump pit.

I did not find that for UPC either.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Read the instructions that came with the pump. Here is one Liberty model. Is there a check valve leaving the pump housing? There might be one already built in. It could be when the pump shuts off, you have a tall column of water in the pipe and without a check valve all that water rushes back down and it maybe pulling air from the sink trap.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/venting-for-basement-lift-system.84520/#post-608230
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sewage-sump-vent.83994/#post-605085
https://www.libertypumps.com/Portals/0/Files/Install Manuals/7225000.pdf

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I could not find anything that says IPC requires a dedicated/exclusive vent for an ejector pump pit.

Sorry about the confusion. Instruction reads;

Vent:
For both side and vertical discharge systems, the vent size must be
in accordance with applicable codes, but not less than the
discharge size.

On vertical discharge models, a threaded 2” or 3” connection is
provided on top of the cover. The vent must be piped to the
existing building vent, or extended outside on its own standpipe.

On side discharge models, venting is accomplished through the
inlet. See Figure 10 for Pro380-SD venting example through the
inlet pipe as an alternative solution.

Pro-Series systems shipped with steel pipe option have a rubber
grommet seal on the discharge instead of female NPT
connections.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought you had to tie into bigger than 2 inch? 4 inch the y should be on top too

Mike101

Reaction score
Thanks everyone ... Yep, it's vertical, and vented to an existing standing vent (2 inch.) So, check valve / 4 in wye w 4in to city. I was wondering whether the venting might be obstructed and wet venting at the kitchen sink? But check valve could be it cause like a dummy I put it on vertical line out a few feet above pump with about 4 feet vertical above it before it goes horizontal.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ... Yep, it's vertical, and vented to an existing building vent (2 inch.) I was thinking check valve / 4 in wye and run 4in to city / venting obstructed and wet venting at the kitchen sink?
Though it was built already? The kitchen should have had a vent but drawing shows no vent there is your problem also when the pumped waste goes to horizontal gravity it should be 4 inch. dont see any wet vent? vent obstruction dont know where that idea came from but if you had a kitchen vent and it was plugged it could cause the gurgling

Mike101

Reaction score
Is the Liberty pump housing vented to the outdoors (It cannot be connected to the house plumbing vent)? How & where is the sink vented? When does the gurgle occur, just as the pump starts, during or after it shuts off? Are there any vents past the wye?

I think air in the pipe is being pushed out and the sink is the only place it can escape to. If the sink uses an AAV, it won't work for this situation.

Just got back to looking at this after long delay ... OK, so kitchen sink is AAV, no smell of gas after gurgling. Gurgle occurs during pump run. Ejector pump is vented to a 3 line going through the roof. Wye from pump is horizontal. Would removing kitchen AAV in order to check/test work? Re-plumb the 2in to a 4in from wye to city? Thanks very much

Last edited:

Mike101

Reaction score
Just got back to looking at this after long delay ... OK, so kitchen sink is AAV, no smell of gas after gurgling. Gurgle occurs during pump run. Ejector pump is vented to a 3 line going through the roof. Wye from pump is horizontal. Would removing kitchen AAV in order to check/test work? Re-plumb the 2in to a 4in from wye to city? Thanks very much

drain issue.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, remove the AAV at the sink and run the pump. If no gurgle then any air is being pushed back. You can place a piece of paper on top of the pipe and see if it gets blown off. It also could be the trap is getting sucked dry though the AAV should prevent it. As the pump waste fills in the 2" drain with a slug of water, it's causing a vacuum at the wye back toward the sink.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
aav no bueno. your pushing air up and breaking the trap seal because an aav is not a vent its essentialy a checkvalve

Mike101

Reaction score
Before I tear out some kitchen sink cabinet wall, I thought about venting about 3 feet before the wye, to a 3 inch vent work in basement that runs to roof. Would this work? Thanks for your time.

drain issue 2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it likely would help if you cut a vent in youll see without even completing it put a comb in and check it if it works good run the vent out the roof or tie it in to another vent

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score

UPC 710.10
"The top shall be provided with a vent pipe that shall extend separately through the roof or, when permitted, may be combined with other vent pipes."

In my experience, inspectors have always required the vent to be ran separately.
I'm sure it varies on town, county, state and jurisdictions like most code does.

Reach4

Reaction score
In my experience, inspectors have always required the vent to be ran separately.
For the pump basin, how high do they want that run separately? To the attic, or through the roof?

The basin vent is not Mikes problem, however.

Mike101

Reaction score
Right, basin vent is 3 inch to roof, ... So I tried that midpoint vent and still got a gurgle in kitchen sink ... going ahead and going through the sink cabinet wall to pull AAV in kitchen tomorrow to see if that does it. If it does I will connect it to a 3 inch vent to roof ... Any ideas/comments if that doesn't work would be greatly appreciated? Thanks much for everyone's time/help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks