Fleck 5600SXT settings in Hot Climate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Set up my new Fleck 5600SXT this morning. Currently 103 degrees, on way to 110 today. Soft water system is in the garage, which gets even hotter when automobile engines are cooling down after use.

Are there any tweaks to my settings that should be made to compensate for hot environments?

System specs:
Fleck 5600SXT
2.0 cubic ft system (64,000 grain listed capacity)
Brine fill rate 0.5 GPM
Hardness: 18 (measured using Hach 5B)

Water usage:
325 gallons/day in summer (I have a high-pressure back-yard mister system that is used a lot)
140 gallons/day in winter (2 people full time)

Fleck 5600SXT Settings (Summer):
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 40.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 18 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 325 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 12; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 12; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t0.7

Fleck 5600SXT Settings (Winter):
Everything is the same, except RC = 140

Reach4

Reaction score
Year round increase H to 20 for high-hardness compensation.You are using 6 lb of salt per cubic ft of resin. You could bump that later, and adjust C, if you later want a little softer.

I wonder if it would make sense to increase your 3.5 DLFC to account for the warm water used for the backwash.

Protect the plastic from UV... softener and plastic pipe.

Revised based on numbers from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 2

Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=

5.250 ; 39.2 ; 7 ;Less salt, but not as soft.
6.000 ; 42.0 ; 8 ; like you use, but you could raise C.
6.750 ; 44.5 ; 9
7.500 ; 46.6 ; 10 ; An upgrade in softness, using just a little more salt/gallon of softened water
8.250 ; 48.6 ; 11
9.000 ; 50.3 ; 12 ;softer still, but more salt use

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Reach4 - thank you for the feedback!

A couple of questions...

"Increase 3.5 DLFC" - what is DLFC? Does it have something to do with BLFC = 0.5?

My system seems to only allow me to change C in whole number increments. Is there a method to allow it to use decimals?

I believe I'm protected from UV as the system is in an enclosed garage, not outside or in a carport.

Is it best practice to set reserve capacity to average daily usage (ie for me: 325 in summer and 140 in winter), or should I consider increasing or decreasing RC?

Reaction score
And this statement you made, "I wonder if it would make sense to increase your 3.5 DLFC to account for the warm water used for the backwash.", is directly on-point with my question - what (if anything) should be done to compensation for hot water? Do you have a link to more info regarding increase of water for backwash due to to warm water?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Reaction score
Ah, thank you, @Bannerman!

Just reviewed chart... "higher water temperatures require higher backwash rates". Might this be due to the lowered viscosity of warmer water? I think I remember that from my fluid dynamics class at ASU? (Although frankly, I don't remember much from ASU - its reputation in the late 70's early 80's as the #1 party school in the country was well deserved!) ;)

And how does one change the DLFC flow rate on Fleck 5600SXT? Is it done programmatically, or by swapping out a part, or?

Thank you again...

Reach4

Reaction score
And how does one change the DLFC flow rate on Fleck 5600SXT? Is it done programmatically, or by swapping out a part, or?
Swapping out a part -- the DLFC washer/button ("washer flow control"). Drain Line Flow Control. It is just inside where the drain line connects.

Part# Drain Line Flow Control Washers
19151 ...........................Washer Flow 1.0 gpm
12085 ...........................Washer Flow 1.2 gpm
12086 ...........................Washer Flow 1.5 gpm
12087 ...........................Washer Flow 2.0 gpm
12088 ...........................Washer Flow 2.4 gpm
12089 ...........................Washer Flow 3.0 gpm
12090 ...........................Washer Flow 3.5 gpm ** you probably have this one on your 12 inch tank
12091 ...........................Washer Flow 4.0 gpm
12092 ...........................Washer Flow 5.0 gpm

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think viscosity and density both will contribute. Both are negatively correlated with temperature for water.

Reaction score
Thank you @Reach4, for the list of part numbers and their GPM equivalents. Very helpful!

Would you recommend I go from current 3.5GPM to 4.0 or 5.0?

Should BW time (or any other setting) be altered if the DLFC is switched to 4.0 or 5.0?

Related question - would keeping the 3.5GPM DLFC and increasing the time accomplish same end objective, or is it the force from the higher GPM that's needed to do the task?

Reaction score
Thank you @Reach4, for the list of part numbers and their GPM equivalents. Very helpful!

Should BW time (or any other setting) be altered if the DLFC is switched to 4.0 or 5.0?

Related question - would keeping the 3.5GPM DLFC and increasing the time accomplish same end objective, or is it the force from the higher GPM that's needed to do the task?

Lastly, is there a trick to entering "C" with decimals? ie: "46.6" vs "46" ?

Reach4

Reaction score
That is out of the 5600sxt service manual.
Not at the moment. Did the link that Bannerman have that?

I don't think that would affect any settings.

Lastly, is there a trick to entering "C" with decimals? ie: "46.6" vs "46" ?
This is a snip from the 5600SXT service manual Rev H.
img_2.png

Reaction score
So I just found out the average incoming cold water inlet temperature in my location is 60ºF:

"Ground Water Temperature: The incoming cold water inlet temperature of the local approved potable water supply (municipal or well). For sizing purposes the incoming water temperature is estimated for the average annual year in Maricopa County. The ground water temperature of tap water varies throughout Maricopa County depending upon the location, elevation, and time of year. In order to properly size a water heater, the Department has determined based upon available ground water temperature map data that for the purposes of this guideline an average annual incoming potable tap water temperature of 60ºF shall be used. Note: 60°F is also the average year-round ground water temperature in most of the Southwest, Southern California, the Southwest and Gulf states."
Source: Maricopa County Environmental Services
https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5888/Hot-Water-Supply-Requirements-PDF

Reaction score
Is there a best flow meter type for measuring of very low flow?

My patio mister system, which is plumbed to receive soft water, consumes 0.77 GPM. While I've only had the Fleck 5600SXT up for 2 days now, I have noticed that sometimes the Flow Meter (3/4" turbine) does not register anything flowing at all, and sometimes it shows 0.6 GPM.

Here's the breakdown of behavior:

When mister system is turned on while no other water is being used, it will start metering sometimes, and other times it will not start metering. If it does start metering right away, it will continue to meter as long as misters are on. If it doesn't start metering right way, it never starts metering, UNLESS another source of water is used (kitchen sink, toilet, whatever). In this case, from the moment the additional water source is used (and even after that source stops) it will continue to meter. It's makes me think maybe it needs a "jump start" or a "boost" to get it spinning, but once spinning, seems to be fine.

The Distributor from whom I purchased from says 3/4" turbine in 5600SXTshould meter beginning at 0.25GPM.

Potentially manufacturing debris in turbine?
Other potential issues?
Maybe a different meter type would be better for very low flow conditions?
Any suggestions?

(Etiquette question: Should I have started an new thread for this? If so, my apologies. I'm a new poster, so trying to learn the ropes!)

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 5600 turbine is one of the best for low flow.
If it is a real 5600 and not a counterfeit. I w
ould recommend removing the turbine and checking it for debris.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks