Troubleshooting Help: Drain pipe leaking under slab?/Root problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

LAventurasurfer

Reaction score
photo album for reference: https://imgur.com/a/cV4ySVU

Hi there folks, I have a house in Southern California built during the early 1960's. I'm currently experiencing a leak under my kitchen sink (labeled 1 in the picture), which only occurs when I'm draining my washing machine/ laundry (labeled 2). I've already ruled out the cleanout plug drain to the outdoors (labeled 3).
The leaking/draining comes out from the patched slab circled in picture 1, with water intake coming out from that same hole. As I mentioned already, it only leaks when I do the laundry.
So, I was wondering what the problem is, considering that I have trees in the front lawn there could be possible root problems, but there has been work on the pipes before hence the concrete patches in the slab.

I was thinking that there might be some leaking or blockage in a pipe going from the drain in picture 2 to the main drain/sewage pipe.

If anybody is familiar with plumbing layouts in socal during this time or has any advice/knowledge, it would be extremely appreciated, as the leak has caused substantial black mold damage throughout the kitchen.

Thank you in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi there folks, I have a house in Southern California built during the early 1960's. I'm currently experiencing a leak under my kitchen sink (labeled 1 in the picture),
The red circle in #1 seems to be marking a floor drain. Not your ordinary-looking floor drain.

Where do you stick the drain hose from the washing machine? Down the rusty angled pipe sticking out of the wall in picture 2? Or into the piece of PVC that is near that pipe?

LAventurasurfer

Reaction score
The red circle in #1 seems to be marking a floor drain. Not your ordinary-looking floor drain.

Where do you stick the drain hose from the washing machine? Down the rusty angled pipe sticking out of the wall in picture 2? Or into the piece of PVC that is near that pipe?
The pipe in the red circle is actually an intake pipe and leads to the kitchen faucet, the water is coming from the dirt around/under it and smells really bad.
The drain hose normally goes into the rusty drain pipe, that's where it is when the leaking/flooding happens.

LAventurasurfer

Reaction score
hello was this ever resolved? was it a leak or blockage in the drain? thanks in advance!
It was the main sewer line. The house is fairly old and used galvanized pipes which corroded over time. What really caused the backup was the pipe slipped and went into the dirt around the connecting sewer line and couldn't flow freely and backed out. So basically, the galvanized pipes just got old and worn out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks for finishing the story, not uncommon , happens on old. but at least your in Ventura

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks