Wet Vent - Configuration A or B?

Users who are viewing this thread

flub1dub

Reaction score
I am grateful for your consideration. Is configuration A or B compliant with the UPC? I'm pretty sure A is but have doubts on B. If both are compliant, which would you prefer?

wet_vent-a_or_b-resizeM.jpg

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A works with 2" to the shower on a santee. You don't need a cleanout there because you're within five feet to the 3" line that does have a cleanout.
B would also work.

flub1dub

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! It seems to me like B would perform better, because the wet vent is shorter and has fewer turns. What do you think?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Terry! It seems to me like B would perform better, because the wet vent is shorter and has fewer turns. What do you think?
I've mentioned this before but i'm not sure it pertains to the UPC. but an inspector pointed this out to me in section 912.2.1 of the 2018 IPC the water closet drain must enter the wet vent system horizontally.

flub1dub

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before but i'm not sure it pertains to the UPC. but an inspector pointed this out to me in section 912.2.1 of the 2018 IPC the water closet drain must enter the wet vent system horizontally.

Thanks James! That's where I had my doubts on B. I think one interpretation on B is that the wet vent ends at the water closet drain, and therefore the water closet drain is not entering into the wet vent and so it can enter vertically. Not sure I want to roll the dice with inspectors though!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you remember , ask your inspector if he would have approved "B", Then we'll all know.

only problem with asking inspector is he might be wrong . I think A is right andB might be right Im not sure either . but it would be good to hear another opinion

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks