Leaking inner toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mia55770

Reaction score
I have a leaking toilet inside. It appears the flapper is in good condition but the toilet water is rising quickly because the white tube inside is leaking. Could anyone help me diagnose the problem?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure about your description of the symptom.

The white tube should feed into the small hole on top of the overflow tube. The purpose of the white tube is to direct some water down the overflow tube to refill the bowl after a flush.

Mia55770

Reaction score
I am not sure about your description of the symptom.

The white tube should feed into the small hole on top of the overflow tube. The purpose of the white tube is to direct some water down the overflow tube to refill the bowl after a flush.
The white tube is constantly dripping. Is that normal, I hear the dripping even after I flush and lots of time goes by.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the fill valve is not bad, it should stop once the water reaches the set level.
The fill tube is attached to the overflow tube, but not pushed down far. Too far down and it can siphon water out of the tank.
If the fill valve doesn't shut off, you may need to replace it.

Mia55770

Reaction score
Thank you Terry for your help! The full tube has never been attached to the overflow tube. And the end of the fill tube hasn’t ever leaked, but now it appears it does. What do you think is the cause? And how would you suggest fixing it?

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
When you flush the toilet, the float (1) will lower. The float is attached to the valve (2). When the float drops, the valve opens and water will fill the tank and some water also goes out the fill tube (3), which is supposed to be attached to the overflow tube (4). When the water level reaches a certain height (where it says "water" on the overflow tube), the valve closes and water stops flowing into the tank and out of the tube. If it still flows out of the tube, then the valve likely needs to be replaced.

Can you confirm that the water level in the tank stops at the "water" mark on the overflow tube but still flows out of the fill tube?

Attachments

• 20200619_201426.jpg
    20200619_201426.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 146

Mia55770

Reaction score
When you flush the toilet, the float (1) will lower. The float is attached to the valve (2). When the float drops, the valve opens and water will fill the tank and some water also goes out the fill tube (3), which is supposed to be attached to the overflow tube (4). When the water level reaches a certain height (where it says "water" on the overflow tube), the valve closes and water stops flowing into the tank and out of the tube. If it still flows out of the tube, then the valve likely needs to be replaced.

Can you confirm that the water level in the tank stops at the "water" mark on the overflow tube but still flows out of the fill tube?
Yes, I can confirm that the water stops at the water mark. However droplets of water still continue leaking from fill tube.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I don't know the brand of fill valve, but if it was my toilet, first thing I would try is replacing the fill valve seal (pic of a Fluidmaster fill valve seal below)

Next would be replacing the entire valve assembly.

Attachments

• 8c5f0044-1363-4e83-aed6-20079a0af5b7_1000.jpg
    8c5f0044-1363-4e83-aed6-20079a0af5b7_1000.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 139

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the water continues to rise above where it is supposed to (it eventually could reach the top of the overflow and go down into the bowl), then don't worry about it for now.

Some valve are designed with replaceable seals, some are not. If it is designed for a seal to be replaced, it's generally quicker, cheaper, and easier to just do that. Otherwise, you will need to replace the entire valve assembly. Note, when you do that, it's a good idea to change the hose between the wall shutoff and the valve in the tank. If that is rigid, you can reuse it.

You DO want to place the end of the hose into the bracket above the overflow tube. Without that directing some water down the overflow into the bowl, the bowl itself won't be filled to the design level and that can sometimes have a very negative effect on the energy of the flush.

One way to test if the bowl is full is to first note where it is, then, slowly add water into the bowl. At some point, it will stop rising. If that new water height is higher AND stays there after a delay, that's where it is designed to be, and putting the hose where it's supposed to be should fix it.

Mia55770

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, very appreciated. I will look into all your suggests and let you know if all goes well.

JK.Mark

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks