How many years would you guarantee a Sharkbite fitting install??

Users who are viewing this thread

packardv8

Reaction score
On another thread, a pro maintenance plumber says he always uses Sharkbite for repairs and they'll last as long as copper fitting repairs.

While I'm old school enough to wonder about that, what say you other pros? What does Sharkbite claim?

jack vines

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I rarely use a Sharkbite or push-connect fitting. They do have their uses though. I don't use them in high heat situations like near a water heater.
I have used them in a crawl space where it's hard to drain down the pipes. That also makes them accessible. Also outside the wall for shutoffs.
Time will tell though. I broke into the trades soldering. and I always have my copper trays with me.
For angle stops I like compression.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sharkbite claims that you can do an entire building with their fittings, so that would mean they are enclosed in walls and SHOULD last a long time. I would personally not count on it.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't use shark bites unless it's a temporary fix when the water won't shut off all the way or if I don't have enough fittings with me.
To answer your question, I would only give an overnight guarantee.
. Then I'd return the next day to do the job right.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I am old school too and like to solder fittings on copper. I have used shark bite in some hard to get places where soldering wasn't going to work. Did a couple water softener's in the last couple years that came with shark bite fitting so I used them so far no issues.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep they are lifetime forever fittings just like copper , pex, cpvc, and galvinised or any thing else. and are legal even buried in a wall But most professionals scowl at sharkbites and most have used them in a pinch. Ive used them a few times even permanantly, but dont like them or trust them that much even though Ive had sucsess with them. For Temp work like on copper and water might make soldering unpleasant they are awsome, but so is propress but i dont have a propress gun also you can remove it and reuse the fitting on another temp repair. Handy product but I avoid thier use . guarantee 1 year.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got2learn thanks interesting Evopex might be an option. never been a big fan of joining pipe with an O-ring on the outside either. My first experience using Propress I was on a big job we couldn't figure out why we had a bunch of leaks all 1 1/2 pipe we got schooled and re schooled and at great expense we figured out we had a huge batch of pipe that had a defect running all along it just enough that some of the O-rings wouldn't seal.
I've been concerned with debris getting inside Sharkbites too

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Got2learn thanks interesting evopex might be an option. never been a big fan of joining pipe with an oring on the outside either. My first experiance using propress I was on a big job we couldnt figure out why we had a bunch of leaks all 1 1/2 pipe we got schooled and re schooled and at great expence we figured out we had a huge batch of pipe that had a defect running all along it just enough that some of the orings wouldnt seal.
Ive been concerned with debris getting inside sharkbites too

That's scary. One would think that the O-ring being under pressure (Propress) would compensate for a surface blem that a Sharkbite couldn't. Makes you wonder how good the pipe was in other regards.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's scary. One would think that the O-ring being under pressure (Propress) would compensate for a surface blem that a Sharkbite couldn't. Makes you wonder how good the pipe was in other regards.

John

It was a big job Im guessing 12 guys running copper. kind of a bump or seam running along it I could take a file to it and smooth the step out . so when you think of a sharkbite over PEX or CPVC it could get a scratch in it easily. No matter how we do our work gotta pay attention to what we are doing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks