Sink drain plumbed with kitchenette???

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadman33

I know enough to get in trouble
Reaction score
Have a look at this pic and tell me what's wrong...Please...and what would be up to code

THis is a bath sink drain. the pipe coming through the wall on the left is coming from a kitchenette sink onthe other side of the wall... I just want to know if there is any way in hell that is code, if not i'm okay taking our the kitchenette sink and just plumbing the bathroom alone. If I do plumb the bath sink alone, is it okay to have the clean out there or should that be another fitting?

1. it's 1.5" ABS with sani T with cleanout as it goes into 2" in the wall... Is that code?
2. is it okay if the sink drain goes into the wall there into a 2" and on the other side of the wall there's another sink drain that goes into it too.
3. Is it code to have the kitchen sink come into the bathroom sink like that?
4. re: question 2, If that's not code, is there away to tie that in that is code or no go

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_222553.jpg
    IMG_20191031_222553.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20191006_214859.jpg
    IMG_20191006_214859.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 246

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
it's wrong. as long as the lav isn't wet venting the rest of the bathroom and the lav drain stack is at least 2" then you can do this, if not then you'll have to do something else.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_214859.jpg
    IMG_20191006_214859.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 229

Roadman33

Reaction score
Thank you James.
I did some more digging and added a drawing of everything that ties into this 2" pipe. Can I do what you proposed even though theres a 2" on the other side of the wall that drains the water heater and utilities?

And...is it okay to run that kitchenette drain around the corner and them do the over under that makes the vent and the drain in your drawing?

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_120747.jpg
    IMG_20200614_120747.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 209

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you James.
I did some more digging and added a drawing of everything that ties into this 2" pipe. Can I do what you proposed even though theres a 2" on the other side of the wall that drains the water heater and utilities?

And...is it okay to run that kitchenette drain around the corner and them do the over under that makes the vent and the drain in your drawing?

what do you mean, "water heater and other utilities"?

Roadman33

Reaction score
It's just a 2" P trap close to the wall in that room to collect the over flow from the water heater and condensation from the furnace.

Roadman33

Reaction score
Thanks James. I'm putting in for permit and will have to get inspection, I just want to make sure I'm not way off base from the start.

Roadman33

Reaction score
How's this look? Up to code/ okay? Anything I should be sure to do make sure it passes?

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_185803.jpg
    IMG_20200615_185803.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20200615_185803.jpg
    IMG_20200615_185803.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 224

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now that I see it I don't think that would pass an inspection. I don't know what that trap is for, is it for the water heater pop off ? If it is it has to be 6" off the floor and into a drain pan then run it through the wall to the outside of the house

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
"Water heater and furnace drain" -- I understand furnace drain. Is that water heater part a condensation drain for a hybrid electric water heater, or something else?

Roadman33

Reaction score
Here's a pic if the drain. This is the utility room that backs up to the bath and kitchenette where I want to do the work.

I am thinking of doing all the work on this side of the walls just behind the water heater so I don't have to do anything to mess up my cosmetic stuff on the bathroom side or the in the kitchen... Does that seem like a doable plan?

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_160106.jpg
    IMG_20200615_160106.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 223

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a pic if the drain. This is the utility room that backs up to the bath and kitchenette where I want to do the work.

I am thinking of doing all the work on this side of the walls just behind the water heater so I don't have to do anything to mess up my cosmetic stuff on the bathroom side or the in the kitchen... Does that seem like a doable plan?
I see a T&P valve terminating in a p-trap with a trap primer. The fact that it is tied in so close to the other sink drains is a safety hazard and I don't believe any inspector would approve it. I would remove it and run the T&P valve drain straight down towards the floor until I could find another route. With the p-trap out of the picture you will probably get approved.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see a T&P valve terminating in a p-trap with a trap primer. The fact that it is tied in so close to the other sink drains is a safety hazard and I don't believe any inspector would approve it. I would remove it and run the T&P valve drain straight down towards the floor until I could find another route. With the p-trap out of the picture you will probably get approved.

It'll pass inspection in Washington State. I've done many, many times.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Santees on side and back for drainage flys in WA ? Looks like it needs help to me. Tand p into the waste and not drained outside? Nevermnd the Tand P your not pulling permit for water heater any way right?

Roadman33

Reaction score
Santees on side and back for drainage flys in WA ? Looks like it needs help to me. Tand p into the waste and not drained outside? Nevermnd the Tand P your not pulling permit for water heater any way right?
Right, not doing water heater...just going to do the work from this side of walls so I don't mess with bathroom drywall and vanity, and kitchen counter....easy to access from this side.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you were happy with it befor and like it . then I guess all is good. I dont think Id pull a permit though especialy if I didnt want to remove drywall to repair vent running horizontal less than 6 inches above sink top! also 2 inch drain required for kitchen sink till the vent

Roadman33

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for the help. I was wondering if i;m going to fail bc this is a wet vent and i'm tieing in a bar sink to bathroom wet vent system? Kitchen sink would not be allowed, but what about bar sink? I'm still not sure about having all these fitting adding up on the 2" line in such close proximity. i've never seen anything done this way....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks