Connecting 1/4" flex tubing to 1/2" PVC drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Connecting 1/4" flex tubing to 1/2" PVC pipe.

I have the drain end of the RO system that needs to traverse the distance of the entire garage. It is all mounted up in the ceiling of the garage.
Would this work if I ran 1/4" flex tubing drain 5' horizontally out of the RO system to a 1/2" PVC pipe mounted in the ceiling, this will slope and traverse 18' to the other side of the garage, from there it will elbow down and out of the ceiling and down into the utility sink 6" below.

I saw that there is a John Guest 1/4" to 1/2" threaded male adaptor. This could maybe thread int the PVC? I am needing some help on how to get 1/4" flex tubing to connect to 1/2" PVC so I can run it the length of the garage. Or help guide me to a better option.

Any help is appreciated.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Gu...h-to-Connect-Adapter-Fitting-803309/300753463

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea it works , dont softners run bigger than 1/4 inch? other wise no problem no fire rated walls?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, This is to drain an RO system which typically drains with a 1/4" tubing line? I was thinking a sharkbite 1/4" plastic tubing to 1/2" PVC pipe fitting to connect the two diff materials with. After the 1/4" tubing directly connects into the PVC, it will traverse the ceiling joist with a slight slope. Once it reaches the other side, it will drop down 90 degrees from the ceiling and 5' down into a sink.
I was concerned about directly connecting the 1/4" tubing into the horizontal PVC to make that 18' run. I know I need an air gap? But not sure if that is required before the PVC pipe or can be later down the road here.
Why do I need an airgap again? And is it OK if it is 25" away?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...s-Reducing-Coupling-Fitting-U050LFA/204628050

Reach4

Reaction score
But not sure if that is required before the PVC pipe or can be later down the road here.
I think the airgap can be downstream, but before/when joining sewage stuff.

If "later down the road " means next month, you can't do it that way.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your softner will be connected to the 1/2 pvc pipe via poly tube and run 18 ft or whatever through attic then 90 down (im guessing exposed in laundry area) and dump into sink keeping an airgap not down inside the sink but over it minimum 1 inch. That was my impression.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

JerryR

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps buy this kit https://www.amazon.com/YZM-Connect-...reverse+osmosis+tubing&qid=1591501355&sr=8-30 and run it through the 1/2” pvc pipe.

Making the 90 degree turn in 1/2 might be a problem. If he ran 3/4” pvc to encase the continuous run of 1/4” plastic pipe he could use a long sweep 90 to make the turn easily.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-Inch-90-Degree-PVC-Conduit-Sweep-Elbow-Schedule-40-/371095475524

Maybe Im lost again op was talking about connecting 1/4 inch poly to 1/2 inch pvc and it looks like your talking about using the pvc as a conduit for the 1/4 inch. I cant see that he is interested in that otherwise he woulndnt been asking which fitting to conect the 2 together

Reaction score
Yes it is a Reverse Osmosis (RO) 1/4" drain line.
Typically manufactures say a 1/4" drain line from an RO system is not recommended to go more than 15'. This way the RO is not pushing pressurized wastes water up/dwn around bends, all while risking kinks.
So this is why I am only running the 1/4" tubing line 5' under pressure. Then using a connector, 1/4" to 1/2" adapter, which will allow me to dump the waste water into a sloped drain which would technically allow me to run this drain 1000' depending on the slope? I am exaggerating.

I am not a plumber so wanted to get a consensus on if I can directly connect these two materials and if I need an air gap there?
Sounds like should be good to go. Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok bob I thought that was what you were doing and not slipping it inside a conduit. agree on running it bigger than 1/4 all the way.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will this really be a problem? A 1/2" 90 to turn the flow down into the drain. I can look around for a sweep 90 or something. Thanks for the Ebay link to help visualize.

Read his post he is talking about trying to run that 1/4 inch tube inside of a pvc line the entire length . Read all of them

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks