Main sewer clean out location

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam M

Reaction score
Hello All. With my recent home purchase, I have met some very nice neighbors who gave me a small history on the house. We have municipal waste to start. When the house was built 20 years ago, the first owners moved in and immediately had sewer backup. Come to find out the builders installed the sewer line, but were running heavy equipment through the front yard causing it to break under ground. They had to dig everything up and replace it. Now I am curious as to why they replaced it the way they did. Currently, the clean out pipes in my front yard are in direct line with the old sewer line that is capped in my basement rather than with the new active line. Attached is a small sketch of how its set up.

So my questions are below:

1. Are there any codes that require the clean out to be oriented a specific way with the main line?
2. How can I determine if the line was connected to the clean out?
3. Why would they cap the old line and bust a hole in the foundation to run a new one based on the diagram below?

Mind you this was 20 years ago and there aren't any drainage issues. I am just new to home ownership and trying to learn everything I can.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Currently, the clean out pipes in my front yard are in direct line with the old sewer line that is capped in my basement rather than with the new active line. Attached is a small sketch of how its set up.
How much higher than the basement floor does the new active line exit?
Did the old line exit the basement through and under the basement floor.?

2. How can I determine if the line was connected to the clean out?
Is there a cleanout in the basement for the new line?

Sam M

Reaction score
How much higher than the basement floor does the new active line exit?
Did the old line exit the basement through and under the basement floor.?

Is there a cleanout in the basement for the new line?

The line exits at the same height as the old line through the basement wall, it just exits on the other side per the diagram.

There is no clean out in the basement as far as I can see. The basement is finished so I am not sure if there is a clean out buried somewhere.

I should also mention the distance in the basement between the old and new line is approximately 5 feet. So its not like its the whole other side of the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could look at the sewer line through a cleanout, using a bright flashlight. Note there is no flow. Turn on the cold water at the tub with the stopper open. Go out and look for flow again.

Sam M

Reaction score
Good point. One line in the front yard has a vent cap on it and the other is capped, are they both clean outs?

I am probably more curious and concerned about all these technical items than most homeowners. But when things go wrong I'd like to know where all my clean outs, valves, etc are located.

Edit: Only reason I can think of the old line not being replaced in its existing location is because it does run under the front porch and that would have required to dig out under it and then having settling issues down the road.

Last edited:

Sam M

Reaction score
I did more digging around and pulled the permits for when the work was done. Per the description, the new line was tied into the old clean out by the sidewalk. I shined a flash light down there and could see some water in the trap itself so I believe it's hooked up.

Apologies for creating a useless thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks