Spinklers seem to lose complete pressure after about 30 seconds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Bob

Reaction score
I am trying to fix an old irrigation system.

I replaced all 3 valves, the control box, and every head.

When I turn on each solonoid separately by hand, water comes out perfect for each zone...however after about 30 seconds the water almost stops coming out completely in the heads and it seems to be all at once as well, like synchronized.

This is like this for all 3 valves and I am not using a single rotor head just popup sprayers.

My backflow device is turned on all the way as well.

I am not on city water and have a well in the back of my house.

Any ideas?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you are using a pressure tank for your domestic water and irrigation, the irrigation system is drawing more volume than the pump can handle. Not sure what you mean the backflow device is turned on all the way? If the pressure behind the backflow preventer drops too much it is shutting off the water flow assuming what is behind the backflow could siphon water back from the irrigation system.

Where is the anti backflow connected at in the big picture? What type of backflow device is it? Have you tried just running a garden hose or two spigots at the same time to determine if the pump can handle the volume? What type of pump and HP?

Jim Bob

Reaction score
If you are using a pressure tank for your domestic water and irrigation, the irrigation system is drawing more volume than the pump can handle. Not sure what you mean y? If the pressure behind the backflow preventer drops too much it is shutting off the water flow assuming what is behind the backflow could siphon water back from the irrigation system.

Where is the anti backflow connected at in the big picture? What type of backflow device is it? Have you tried just running a garden hose or two spigots at the same time to determine if the pump can handle the volume? What type of pump and HP?

This is what I meant when I said I turned on backflow device or whatever it is

jim-bob-01.jpg

Also, here is my set up on well water

jim-bob-02.jpg

Here is what happens to the psi on both gauges, maybe it will give you better idea:

Prior to turning either the water spigot on or sprinklers, the top gauge is around 55 and bottom around 55, so about the same.

When I turn water spigot on for few minutes:

Top gauge rose to around 65 and im assuming would of kept rising if I kept it on?

Bottom gauge stayed at around 55.

When I turn on sprinklers for 30 seconds:

Top gauge stays at 55.

Bottom gauge drops to about 10.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Where is the sprinkler system connect at? What is the small tank next to the home? Where is the pipe from the well? Is it a submersible pump? There is a electrical box just before the bottom gauge, is that a pressure switch?

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Where is the sprinkler system connect at? What is the small tank next to the home? Where is the pipe from the well? Is it a submersible pump? There is a electrical box just before the bottom gauge, is that a pressure switch?

The well pipe is right next to the first pic i showed you, i just didnt take a picture of it. Its submerged the pump tho. Also the sprinkler gets water from the drilled well underground.

There are 2 pressure tanks and both have grey boxes, those are the pressure switches, yes.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't notice the first picture. The lower part of the picture I assume it is the irrigation system and the supply side is the right set of pipes, one for domestic water, the other for the irrigation. Does the irrigation supply come right off the pump and not use the pressure tanks. I'm trying to understand what the lower gauge is reading.

That is a anti siphon valve at the top of the pipe, not a backflow preventer. The valve box on the left, are you using a master valve or is it one of the zone valves. If you do have a master valve did you replace it or rebuild it? From the well to the irrigation system, is there a spigot you can open and let the water run? What happens if you open the spigot next to the Water Guard tank?

If I figured this out right, the pipe on a ground is from the well, then a pressure switch and gauge, the pressure tank (the beige tank), water guard tank. The water guard tank outlet feeds the blue pressure tank, then the water softener, then to the house.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
The picture shows the ball valve to be closed. I assume that is open when you run the irrigation system. There is a valve on the vertical pipe to the water guard. What is that used for?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks