Is a rotary hammer a viable alternative for trenching concrete slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

ecmejcd

Reaction score
Basement bathroom addition - requires about 12' of trenching into the slab for waste lines...

Quote for concrete saw work was about $1700. It's not entirely about cost (though partially that), but the room is adjacent to areas very sensitive to dust and so I am wondering: would attempting to make these trenches in a very controlled way by drilling "dotted lines" with a rotary hammer (with dust collection) and breaking them out with the hammer in "chisel mode" be a realistic option?

I have plenty of time and patience - more these than dollars - but didn't want to go down this path if it was basically an idiot move ;)

Has anyone experience with trenching a slab this way?

Thanks!

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can be done and I did it years ago. I wouldn't ever do it again. It just didn't look nice when the job was done as the floor was going to be left in concrete only. Later flooring was installed so it got covered up. Did you check on renting a saw? No matter how you do it you better put up a lot of plastic and get that room you don't want the dust in sealed up real good.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the job is done properly, by OSHA regulations, there should not be much dust. I use a jackhammer on jobs like yours, or a hammer drill if in a confined space, and hook up to a HEPA dust extractor. I don't even have to put up plastic anymore.
I'd recommend looking into renting one with the appropriate attachment for the jackhammer. It will be done in a matter of hours versus days with the method you propose.

ecmejcd

Reaction score
Thanks folks!

The slab will be covered with finished flooring so I'm not worried about aesthetics. I appreciate the comments about renting a saw and just being done with it; I should have added that there are a few areas where precision would be useful and I don't think I can maneuver a 12-14" concrete saw, so there's also that. Like I said, I have the time so the tortoise pace is okay by me (I say this now; hindsight may well kick my *** of course!)

I read a saying once: "Remember: you're building a house, not furniture." But honestly, I tend to build furniture; I'm fussy like that.

Thanks again for taking the time to share thoughts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks