PEX transition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamespd

Reaction score
Hello new to forum I live in Suffolk county NY. I’m running a PEX manifold on my garage interior wall. The garage is attached and has living space on one side, the back and above. I’m running PEX to the manifold through floor joists and then coming down into the garage above the manifold. I know the garage needs to be sealed up , 5/8 x dry wall etc. my question is the transition from the joists through the ceiling? I was thinking some form of block between the joist it’s entering through then sheet rock over that then fire stop around each line or is there a more appropriate code correct way? All help is appreciated thank you in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good question Im wondering the answer on that too. would having the manifold inside a fire rated box in the cieling/joistbay above be an option? and eliminate firestopping? It may or may not require a self closing door.
Ive never really run much pex on plastic dwv lines I converted to castiron or copper thru 1 and 2 hour walls pvc was a no no but I think cpvc was ok . hopefully someone chimes in that broke through fire walls with Pex You have all 1 hour walls and lid?

Jamespd

Reaction score
Good question Im wondering the answer on that too. would having the manifold inside a fire rated box in the cieling/joistbay above be an option? and eliminate firestopping? It may or may not require a self closing door.
Ive never really run much pex on plastic dwv lines I converted to castiron or copper thru 1 and 2 hour walls pvc was a no no but I think cpvc was ok . hopefully someone chimes in that broke through fire walls with Pex You have all 1 hour walls and lid?
I’m a home owner DIY guy so excuse my lack of knowledge on terminology. But it’s a garage w/ all 5/8 xfire rated sheet rock all inside. In my minds let’s say hypothetically I ran the pex water lines through the top plate of the interior then out to the manifold how is that any better safety wise for the pex to enter through a hole in the wall rather than a hole in the ceiling? Last I checked fire doesn’t care what it burns it just burns everything. Again I just don’t wanna have it all run and done and bam the town inspector comes in and says no absolutely not this needs to be redone you know what I mean. I know say for radian floor heat they make these plastic tubes that channel the pex but like that won’t catch after it melts?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m a home owner DIY guy so excuse my lack of knowledge on terminology. But it’s a garage w/ all 5/8 xfire rated sheet rock all inside. In my minds let’s say hypothetically I ran the pex water lines through the top plate of the interior then out to the manifold how is that any better safety wise for the pex to enter through a hole in the wall rather than a hole in the ceiling? Last I checked fire doesn’t care what it burns it just burns everything. Again I just don’t wanna have it all run and done and bam the town inspector comes in and says no absolutely not this needs to be redone you know what I mean. I know say for radian floor heat they make these plastic tubes that channel the pex but like that won’t catch after it melts?

I cant even tell what your doing. Im not suggesting holes in cieling, I was saying a fire rated box might a better way than running that plastic thru fire walls .
If you had pipes in cieling why would you want a manifold on garage wall? why not an acess in cieling

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks