So I went with the promenade, why loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I posted earlier I was thinking about getting a duravit 1930 toilet, but after negative feedback here, and coronavirus issues preventing me from easily getting one, I went with an eco-promenade for half the cost, and set it up today. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

My question is, why is the refill so loud? The flush itself isn't that loud, but the refill sounds like a waterfall, and it doesn't refill quickly. Is there some adjustment I can make?

My only other negative is that between the universal height and the high tank, it's a bit bulky looking in my space. It looks okay in this bathroom, but I think the scale is a bit different than the original 1920s fixtures that remain. I assume the extra height helps it flush. This was my main reason not to go for the promenade II which looks a bit bulkier still than the e-max version.

I ordered from supply.com, and the next afternoon, the toilet showed up in two boxes UPS. Literally in under 24 hours there was a toilet on my lawn. Shipping was free. Got a couple wax rings and a seat in the order too. I was pretty impressed. Not promoting them or anything, but it was a nice experience considering what a pain it is to shop around here these days.

Thanks for any advice.

DIYoB

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Backoff on the stop valve to slow down the water flow entering the tank. Check the fill tube that it is inside the overflow and not splashing around inside the tank. A picture posted would be nice to see your setup.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, backing off the stop valve seems to actually make it a bit louder, causing a hiss. Here are the pictures of my setup. The fill and flush valves in the tank were pre installed.

I think the bowl fill is the source of the noise, but not sure what can be done, maybe a longer flexible tube down into the overflow?

20200524_103301.jpg
20200524_103247.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, but how would it siphon if the fill valve is closed?
The water siphons from the tank. When the tank water drops enough, the fill valve opens. The tank fills. Repeat.

It happens for real.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Backoff on the stop valve to slow down the water flow entering the tank. Check the fill tube that it is inside the overflow and not splashing around inside the tank. A picture posted would be nice to see your setup.

He had 2 complaints Loud and Slow fill Throttling down angle stop shouldn't be needed on a new toilet that fills slow . Id guess possible obstruction. those or even a kink in a hose can make noise ( but that's usually under a cabinet)
Throttling down angle stop to me is a temporary fix until you get around to figuring it out or if your moving. But if I've never done that on a customers home or a new house/remodel. Is that a fix any Plumbers would do? Did you try flushing the fill valve by removing the top and letting water flush thru?

Reach4

Reaction score
The bowl fill port is higher than the overflow, can it somehow siphon up from the bottom of the valve?
First, accept that it happens. There are plenty of threads. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-keeps-flushing.62821/

Now we can think about theory. If the intake of the siphon is in the bottom of the tank, that still works. For a siphon it is sufficient that the output be lower than the surface of the tank.

Now why should there be an open path from the inside bottom of the tank to the refill hose? I think the deal is that the valve wyes the water after the actual valve to the bottom of the tank and the refill tube.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
First, accept that it happens. There are plenty of threads. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-keeps-flushing.62821/

Now we can think about theory. If the intake of the siphon is in the bottom of the tank, that still works. For a siphon it is sufficient that the output be lower than the surface of the tank.

Now why should there be an open path from the inside bottom of the tank to the refill hose? I think the deal is that the valve wyes the water after the actual valve to the bottom of the tank and the refill tube.

I am convinced about this siphoning issue, but doesn't help with my noise concern.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a PRV (pressure reducing valve) for your incoming, turning that to a lower pressure may help. You probably don't have such a valve.

You could consider putting in a quieter fill valve. I know, why should you have to replace the fill valve on a new toilet? Would the silver-topped Korky 528MP be quieter? I am not sure.

Maybe ask Toto? https://www.totousa.com/toto-customer-support They have the advantage that if there is a hardware solution, they may send free parts.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, no PRV. I think the sound is coming from water trickling down into the bowl, but the fill sound is quite loud too. I have a silver topped Korky in the basement I could try. But I wonder if it's just the nature of this toilet design to be louder. It seems like the large tank really amplifies the sound. Its not the end of the world, but I hate to risk waking up the light sleepers in the family when someone makes a nighttime bathroom run, and this wasn't an issue before.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the sound is coming from water trickling down into the bowl, but the fill sound is quite loud too.
You could test that theory by temporarily redirecting the refill tube out of the overflow tube.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
You could test that theory by temporarily redirecting the refill tube out of the overflow tube.

Yes, it is much quieter when the refill tube is submerged in the tank. Anything I could do to address this, or is it just something promenade owners live with?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
what about the slow fill? how does shutting down water help that?
Don't want to blame the customer are you picky? rather than change fill valve first Id clean the debris out or verify its clear, but replacing it makes more sense then choking down water supply I'd never do that!

DIYorBust

Reaction score
what about the slow fill? how does shutting down water help that?
Dont want to blame the customer are you pickey? rather than change fill valve first Id clean the debris out or verify its clear, but replacing it makes more sence then choking down water supply Id never do that!

Reducing the water supply did not help. The fill rate is not really too slow, but it takes longer than the old one and is much noisier which contributes to the nuisance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sounds like I said a restriction causing turbulence something with fill valve or a kink on the line , I suppose its possible the toilet tank resonates the sound. meaning its inherent to this model. frustrating but real simple

DIYorBust

Reaction score
The supply stop is very old, i could try changing that out but I don't think the flow is restricted, filling a buck through the supply line seems normal. A new one might fill a bit faster which would make the noise occur for a shorter time, and that would be better.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, it is much quieter when the refill tube is submerged in the tank. Anything I could do to address this, or is it just something promenade owners live with?

With the refill in place does the refill continue after the bowl is full up? If so, maybe you could use a pinch clamp to slow the refill.

Would changing the discharge angle over the tube help? Run the stream down the side of the tube, instead of down the middle?

Some valves have an adjustable refill, but not that one.

This includes a pinch clamp: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-and-Clip-with-Adjustable-Roller-Clamp-215/202510400

DIYorBust

Reaction score
With the refill in place does the refill continue after the bowl is full up? If so, maybe you could use a pinch clamp to slow the refill.

Would changing the discharge angle over the tube help? Run the stream down the side of the tube, instead of down the middle?

Some valves have an adjustable refill, but not that one.

This includes a pinch clamp: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-and-Clip-with-Adjustable-Roller-Clamp-215/202510400
Ha I just tried changing the angle so the water runs down the side of the overflow, didn't really help. If I use a clamp, I think the bowl fill may be too low as I assume the fill valve was calibrated. With the angle stop fully open, it takes about 20 seconds to fill. With it barely open, the trickling noise is indeed better, but the fill time would be pretty long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks