Water supply to furnace humidifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

David Yates

Reaction score
Am working with a friend and we have installed pex water supplies in his house. The new furnace came with a humidifier that has a small diameter plastic supply hose attached to the solenoid valve.

Rather than think about a saddle valve (All pex plumbing) is there any reason I should not just use a refrigerator supply braided hose (assuming 1/4” fitting) to supply the humidifier?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'll work. Those old style plastic lines can easily crack and burst over time. It happened to my son where someone ran one through a wall cavity into the attic and down to the refrigerator. About 2K in water damages.

I like to ask a question, On the rework using PEX, did you install it like copper with a loop around the home and tee off for the fixture or use a manifold and each fixture is on its own branch. I'm curious of the pressure at each fixture.

David Yates

Reaction score
We just ran 3/4” to each area with water demand - bathrooms, kitchen, and then used small manifolds for each room. Self made manifold for distribution in basement. House unoccupied currently so no info on pressure but I would be amazed if it was unsatisfactory

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I used soft copper to mine. Insert a T then run what you need to the humidifier. Note, depending on where the thing is, just a reminder, pex needs to be protected from UV exposure, so keep that in mind.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Am working with a friend and we have installed pex water supplies in his house. The new furnace came with a humidifier that has a small diameter plastic supply hose attached to the solenoid valve.

Rather than think about a saddle valve (All pex plumbing) is there any reason I should not just use a refrigerator supply braided hose (assuming 1/4” fitting) to supply the humidifier?

Is there any reason to hook up the humidifier AT ALL?

Even in cool high-dry Calgary if the house is reasonably tight and occupied by breathing/bathing/cooking humans the wintertime indoor humidity shouldn't stray out of the human-healthy & comfortable range in winter unless the house is over ventilated.

A high indoor humidity in winter (=>40% @ 20C) puts the structural sheathing of a wood framed house at risk. Any air leaks or large gaps in the vapor barrier ends up accumulating moisture in the sheathing, leading to potential mold/rot issues. During the coldest weather it's best to keep the indoor RH at 25-35% @ 20C, when the sheathing is well below the +3C to +5C indoor air's dew point.

David Yates

Reaction score
If it were my house I wouldn’t install one. In fact I had disconnected mine years ago. The owner of this house wants one though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks