Cast Iron Jacuzzi Deck mount Tub Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeiii

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old deck mounted cast iron jacuzzi tub in a bathroom that I am remodeling. Since it is in perfect condition and only been used a handful of times I thought I would try to remove it in one piece. It is located above the garage so using a floor jack with a 4x6 post it was easy to raise it to the deck level from below Now, I'm having second thoughts about saving it. It is next to a large window so with a lot of effort I can get out to the backyard but then what. The back yard is dirt and on a hill side with gates that will require turning it on it's side.

Here are my questions.

- Is a tub like this worth anything?
-If I decide to break it with a sledge hammer, will it break up as easily as a regular size tub I see on YouTube videos.

Thanks

Mike

IMG-1282.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see a market for second hand cast iron tubs. When I destroy them by sledge hammering them, I lay a sheet of plastic over it to help contain the flying shards of glass that the porcelain finish is made of. Eye protection, gloves, plastic over the tub. Don't hurt yourself.
To remove the tub in one piece and bring it outside can be very difficult. Normally when I bring a tub inside, it's in the crate which gives me a way to hang onto it. The last one I installed, the homeowner had bought it and when delivered they removed the crate for inspection purposes. With three of us it was extremely difficult to move it. In a crate I used to move them with two people up and down stairs.
If the normal delivery now is to take the crate, it isn't worth it to me to install them. I love a good Kohler cast iron tub too.

Mikeiii

Reaction score
I don't see a market for second hand cast iron tubs. When I destroy them by sledge hammering them, I lay a sheet of plastic over it to help contain the flying shards of glass that the porcelain finish is made of. Eye protection, gloves, plastic over the tub. Don't hurt yourself.
To remove the tub in one piece and bring it outside can be very difficult. Normally when I bring a tub inside, it's in the crate which gives me a way to hang onto it. The last one I installed, the homeowner had bought it and when delivered they removed the crate for inspection purposes. With three of us it was extremely difficult to move it. In a crate I used to move them with two people up and down stairs.
If the normal delivery now is to take the crate, it isn't worth it to me to install them. I love a good Kohler cast iron tub too.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that’s what the answer would be. I thought I’d check before I did any damage. It seemed a shame to destroy it since it still looks new. I’ll lower it back down and get out the sledge hammer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks