Users who are viewing this thread

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing a new utility sink and relocating the washer. Working off of Terry's infamous Laundry Tray and Washer Rough-In diagram, I placed the washer and sink on separate walls.
So my question:
1. Is it okay to turn the 2x2x2 long sani-T 90 degrees so it's horizontal rather than vertical, and then add a 2 x 1 1/2 x 2 sani-T for the sink vent?
I realize that I need a 1/4 in per foot slope, just want to make sure I'm using the correct fittings.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Utility sink plumbing.jpg
    Utility sink plumbing.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Washer plumbing.jpg
    Washer plumbing.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 883

Reach4

Reaction score
In the utility sink, some are OK with the santee for the vent. Some will want a combo like the washer. Santee would work nicely, but if your inspector ...

All want the bend in the tee the way it is in the washer pix and not the way it is in the utility sink picture.

Do get your slopes at 1/4 inch per foot before the vent, and that or steeper after.

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
In the utility sink, some are OK with the santee for the vent. Some will want a combo like the washer. Santee would work nicely, but if your inspector ...

All want the bend in the tee the way it is in the washer pix and not the way it is in the utility sink picture.

Do get your slopes at 1/4 inch per foot before the vent, and that or steeper after.

Thanks for your reply.

So does that mean that I can just replace the current sink vent santee with a long sweep santee going vertically, in addition to the horizontal long sweep santee that attaches to the 2" wall pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, but you will call it a combination fitting, combo, or some such. That would take more room. Your area inspectors may be quitehappy with a santee on its back as a vent. Functionally it is perfectly fine.

You could also use a wye closer to the trap, and use a 45 to turn vertical at the right place.

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
Yes, but you will call it a combination fitting, combo, or some such. That would take more room. Your area inspectors may be quitehappy with a santee on its back as a vent. Functionally it is perfectly fine.

You could also use a wye closer to the trap, and use a 45 to turn vertical at the right place.
Okay, thanks!

Just one more question: The 2" pipe from the wall is 12" above the floor. Is there another way that I'm not thinking of to locate the sink and washer along the same wall? Originally I tried the long sweep santee vertically, with a regular santee above it leading to the 1 1/2 vent above and the sink trap horizontally.... but it was too high to fit under the sink. Is there an option to code that would essentially be like a horizontal santee? (I know that's not allowed)

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The santee on its back is also installed backwards, the sweep of the branch (where it goes up) go the other way.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the 12 inch-from-the-floor pipe where the drainage has to go?

I guess that means that the trap arms are pretty much at that level.

I don't see a problem with that in the NJ code. I think UPC might have had a problem with that.

Your laundry tub would have to stand up high enough.

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
So actually the 2" drainage pipe is 15" from the floor (12" on the other side of the wall), but the bottom of the sink is 21" from the floor. So my understanding is that, because the drainage pipe is horizontal, I would have to place a regular santee for the sink trap above the long sweep santee, which adds about 8" from the bottom of the drainage pipe to the trap arm. I would have to raise the sink about six inches to make it work (see photo). What am I not seeing?

Attachments

• Utility trap too high.jpg
    Utility trap too high.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 325

Reach4

Reaction score
No santee needed. Just vent both traps this way:
index.php

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
No santee needed. Just vent both traps this way:
index.php
I'm so sorry, Reach4. You've been so helpful, but I must be thick. I've uploaded a doctored image of Terry's diagram to show the horizontal 2" drainage pipe. Could you please tell me what fitting should be used where I've circled in red?
Thanks so much for all your help!

Attachments

• InkedTerry Love washer and utility sink rough in_LI.jpg
    InkedTerry Love washer and utility sink rough in_LI.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 369

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Reach4. You've been so helpful, but I must be thick. I've uploaded a doctored image of Terry's diagram to show the horizontal 2" drainage pipe. Could you please tell me what fitting should be used where I've circled in red?
Thanks so much for all your help!
That diagram is not suitable for your situation IMO.

A combo in horizontal plane
B combo in vertical for vent
C long sweep
D combo in vertical for vent
E short elbow or any elbow
F sanitary tee upside down (could be combo but no need)
G and H are traps.
I made the E-to-F pipe white, since it is horizontal. Horizontal in this context means sloped 1/4 inch per foot.

E and F could be reversed. Just join 6+inches above flood level, and go up to a vent.
Sink on right could be swapped to left.
img_1.png

Last edited:

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
That diagram is not suitable for your situation IMO.

A combo in horizontal plane
B combo in vertical for vent
C long sweep
D combo in vertical for vent
E short elbow or any elbow
F sanitary tee upside down (could be combo but no need)
G and H are traps.
I made the E-to-F pipe white, since it is horizontal. Horizontal in this context means sloped 1/4 inch per foot.

E and F could be reversed. Just join 6+inches above flood level, and go up to a vent.
Sink on right could be swapped to left.
View attachment 62975
Ah, okay, I think I see. So it doesn't matter whether the sink or the washer is closest to the pipe in the wall? I thought the sink had to be "downwind" of the washer.
Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
Ah, okay, I think I see. So it doesn't matter whether the sink or the washer is closest to the pipe in the wall? I thought the sink had to be "downwind" of the washer.
Thanks again!
The order would only matter if wet venting were being used. I don't know if NSPC allows a laundry sink to wet vent a standpipe. I would guess not. The way I drew it, no wet venting attempted. Given the choice, I would use the order I drew it in.

I am not a plumber. I could be wrong.

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
Just FYI for grins and giggles, the current washer does not have a trap OR a stand pipe. The hose from the washer is directly extended through the ceiling, into the attic, across the entire house and down the vent pipe for the kitchen sink (which ends in the attic rather than going through the roof). This house is a real head scratcher!

Just Trying My Best

Reaction score
Would this layout work with the utility sink trap coming off a horizontal combo? Is the venting okay?

Attachments

• Laundry fittings with Utility Sink.jpg
    Laundry fittings with Utility Sink.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 303
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks