Split air handlers fuses blown

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottmcll

Reaction score
Hello All! I successfully installed a split air system in my home about 5 years ago with help from this forum, and have been enjoying it every year as it gets warmer and warmed in the Pacific NW. I have three indoor air handlers: a 18k BTU ceiling cassette type, and two wall mounted units, one with 12k and the other with 9k. Last used the system in late September last year, had some warm weather a few weeks ago so turned on the ceiling unit, it started up and worked perfectly. (As did the outdoor unit). I then went to fire up the two others, both dead a a door nail. Checked incoming power on each, present on both. Then extracted the control boards (no easy task) to discover the single fuse on both boards were blown. Replaced the fuses, checked for continuity, and reassembled, still completely dead, tho the new fuses did not blow. I have ordered two new control boards but am leary of just installing them without getting some feed back from folks here. We're not prone to power surges in my area and I find it really odd that this happened to two of the three units and while the units were turned off sometime during the winter. Could some other component within the air handler, other than the circuit board, have caused this and might fry the new boards I install? Sorry for the long read, and I would sincerely appreciate any and all thoughts.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
On the circuit board there might be a label or printed number next to the fuse. It could give an idea what it might be for. Generally, if the fuse is a ceramic cover (no glass), it's on the line voltage side, perhaps to a transformer. A glass fuse will be low voltage. The original fuse may have a voltage rating stamped on it. Possible causes could have been a power surge since two separate units blew its fuse and components failed

Scottmcll

Reaction score
On the circuit board there might be a label or printed number next to the fuse. It could give an idea what it might be for. Generally, if the fuse is a ceramic cover (no glass), it's on the line voltage side, perhaps to a transformer. A glass fuse will be low voltage. The original fuse may have a voltage rating stamped on it. Possible causes could have been a power surge since two separate units blew its fuse and components failed
Thank you WorthFlorida. They are glass fuses, so interesting to know they are low voltage. The printed number next to the fuse is T10A/250VAC, if that tells you anything., and that's what I replaced them with to no affect. Clearly there is additional damage to the boards other than the fuses.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
That is a 10 amp slow blow at 240v AC, it's may not be low voltage. To tell for sure I have to look at the circuit board. It may only be for a 120 v fan motor or a step down transformer.

Scottmcll

Reaction score
Fitter 30, the brand is Thermocore. And WorthFlorida, I will upload a couple of pics of the board I took when I had it out. I am supposed to receive
MVIMG_20200512_144506.jpg
MVIMG_20200512_145519.jpg
the new boards, today, so can upload a cleaner pic of one of those after I get them.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I see that the fuse is soldered to the board and the print on the board is for another use. The fuse symbol is etched but not used. That is definitely the high voltage side and it is wired for 240v (BLK & RED north America power). Not sure what the yellow is. Probably the neutral (White wire from the breaker panel) to run 120v fan motor and the 24v ac for relays and contactors.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The transformer appears to have been overheated. Look also at the IC below the transformer, above the large capacitor as the IC appears to have blown as there seems to be a large chunk missing.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I think it was a surge since two out of three failed. If the transformer overheated you would see burn marks on the board. It's possible the cap failed but it would usually be swollen.

board.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Look also at the discoloration around the diodes directly above the circled IC. I suspect the tranformer too has been affected. Without a schematic to confirm, I anticipate the affected components are associated with the low voltage DC power supply for the circuit board which has taken the brunt of a power spike (lightning?).

The On/Off control for the unit is probably low voltage so unless AC power is disconnected during the off season, the circuit board will continue to be powered.

As the circuit board appears to be susceptible to power damage, suggest installing a surge suppressor to the AC power line feeding each unit. Alternatively, surge protection could be installed at the main electrical panel so as to protect all circuits within the home.

Scottmcll

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys! From your observations, the board certainly had a a series of failures that, clearly, just replacing the one fuse was never going to resolve. I will certainly follow your advise for measures to help prevent this in the future. Guess I'm lucky that the outdoor unit and the ceiling cassette handler weren't damaged, as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks