Found old water well on property

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris DaSilva

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found an old well on the property I just bought and was wondering if anyone could help me identify what kind of well it is, age, if its still usable, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200519_113853.jpg
    20200519_113853.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200519_113907.jpg
    20200519_113907.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 358

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like an old rod pump, used with a pump jack or windmill. Won't be able to tell anything about the well until you get that old pipe and shaft out of the well. Heavy and not easy to pull or take apart. Find a pump man who will just pull it out for you. Then you can check well depth, water level, and overall condition.

Chris DaSilva

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found an old well on the property I just bought and was wondering if anyone could help me identify what kind of well it is, age, if its still usable, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Looks like an old rod pump, used with a pump jack or windmill. Won't be able to tell anything about the well until you get that old pipe and shaft out of the well. Heavy and not easy to pull or take apart. Find a pump man who will just pull it out for you. Then you can check well depth, water level, and overall condition.

Is that center rod what draws the water up? If i can manipulate that center rod will water flow? There's 1 small pipe in the center of the casing, is that what goes to the well? I can see water like 20 feet down but I can't tell if its surface water or if its the well

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Chris DaSilva

Reaction score
Where in NY?

No, as Cary suggested, it is a pump that worked like a old fashion hand pump or a screw pump. The top end looks like a turbine pump. https://www.nationalpumpcompany.com/products/vertical-turbine-close-coupled

If that is in an old farm field, a past owner may have had an implement tied to a farm tractor for power or a generator with a motor on top of the well.

View attachment 62953
Where in NY?

No, as Cary suggested, it is a pump that worked like a old fashion hand pump or a screw pump. The top end looks like a turbine pump. https://www.nationalpumpcompany.com/products/vertical-turbine-close-coupled

If that is in an old farm field, a past owner may have had an implement tied to a farm tractor for power or a generator with a motor on top of the well.

View attachment 62953

Upstate, Sullivan County. From what I was told there was a bungalow colony on the piece of property just passed where the well is back in the 30s, but considering how new everything looks underneath what you see in the pics, I don't believe it can be that old.

However, what lead me to go looking for a well in the first place was because on my property about 30 ft from the well is a pond that at one time was in need of a dock and has a bridge crossing it. Although now it only has about 18in of water in it and is stagnate. It would make absolutely no sense to build a dock and a bridge for a pond in its current state, so there had to have been a way to fill it. The cylinder down the center of the casing shows no signs of oxidation.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Check with the county if a permit was ever issued for this well. Look up well companies in your county that have been in business for a long time. They might have installed it. The Catskills are loaded with underground springs. Do you need this for irrigation or just curious about it. If you want to use it then call on a well company. Most know the topography of the area and it’s water tables. To use this setup may take a serous motor and power.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I couldn't decide if that was the head to a turbine pump or just a pump jack? The shaft connections looks more like for a pump jack, but still not sure.

Chris DaSilva

Reaction score
Check with the county if a permit was ever issued for this well. Look up well companies in your county that have been in business for a long time. They might have installed it. The Catskills are loaded with underground springs. Do you need this for irrigation or just curious about it. If you want to use it then call on a well company. Most know the topography of the area and it’s water tables. To use this setup may take a serous motor and power.

I want to use it for irrigation and for a small pond thats about 30ft from the well. Its my understanding that that well at one time supplied water to the coy pond and pond near the well, as well as irrigation in the garden beds. The house currently has municipal water which is only in the last 10 years. I would definitely like to get this back to its former glory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks