Help! Need to order 5 new toilets tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Venicemolly

Reaction score
Hi There!

This forum has been so helpful. I've read through posts here and have learned a lot that has guided my choices, but want to confirm my final selections before pulling the trigger. We are doing a gut remodel on a historic home and it is time to order toilets. Due to Covid, stock is running low on all options.

I am keen on getting it right because we have lived with terrible toilets for years and I am tired of plunging and cleaning every day. We are in California and water restrictions here make for miserable toilets.

These are my selections, if there are better options in similar price ranges, let me know.

Master bath- Toto Vespin II with Washlet+ S500e
Guest bath - Toto Drake II
Powder and Daughter's bath - Toto Entrada
Laundry/Utility - Duravit ME by Stark + Geberit Sigma for 2 x4 (tight space)
Son's bath - Toto AP wall mount + Toto DuoFit for 2x6

Thank you for all your help Terry and others. I am overwhelmed with the number of choices I have had to make and this forum has been a great resource to pick with confidence!

Stay safe all!

-M

Venicemolly

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. I see all models I have selected on the MaP list except for the entry model Toto Entrada. I have read that one is a favorite on this forum for a budget toilet, but perhaps not for CA? Is there another inexpensive, decent looking and good functioning model anyone suggests instead of Entrada?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my mind there are two things a toilet should do: flush well, and use as little water as possible. The MaP testing standard is a way to measure flushing performance. MaP Premium is a category of toilets that meet a minimum MaP performance level, and have a maximum of 1.1 gallons/flush.

Approval in California is a separate standard, I'm not sure what's required, other than it definitely includes the manufacturer submitting the toilet for approval, and surely includes a maximum allowed water usage per flush. The list of 280 toilets I pointed you to are the MaP Premium toilets that are also approved in California.

Also, please note that when you say "Toto Drake II" in your initial post, you haven't actually full specified the toilet. There are, for example, the Toto Drake II 1G models (in different bowl shapes) and the Toto Drake II 1.28G models. The former use 1 gallon per flush, and the latter use 1.28 gallons/flush. So while the latter may be approved in California (I don't know, you could check), they are definitely not MaP Premium, as they use more than 1.1 gallons/flush. The two Toto Drake II models listed as MaP Premium and approved in California are both Toto Drake II 1G models.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue with small flush volumes is twofold:
- the water spot must either be narrow and deeper or shallow and wider, but it can't be both.
- the less water it uses, the less washing it does of the whole bowl. Running it around like in the Tornado style gives you more wash for the used volume less likely to miss a spot, but it does not compare to ancient toilets that might have used 7-8 gallons each flush.

The internal path the waste takes goes a long ways towards determining how well it flushes, and whether it will clog more often or not. While you can't see the entire trapway on many of the toilets, it does become somewhat obvious on at least some of them that they try to make a sharp right-angled turn going into the toilet flange. Smooth curves that turn the outlet fairly straight down the drain are less likely to clog or slow down the flush.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
FYI...Toto colors are not USA industry standard. The white is whiter and colors are a shade or two off also. Most may not notice it but if you place Toto white next to a Kohler CI white tub there will be a slight difference. Also bathroom sinks to consider.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks