Separate cleanout required when installing backwater valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawk47

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the planning process for adding a basement bathroom. Code requires a backwater valve, but to me it is unclear if this will require an additional cleanout. Main drain is 4" ABS, which I will wye out of in the basement slab for the bathroom, also in 4"abs, and then install the valve. Existing cleanout is about ten feet from where drain goes out side; new wye will be roughly halfway between.

I have seen others online install these valves, and then install another cleanout downstream right before the line exits the house. Can't find any references requiring this, and I assumed the valve itself counts as a cleanout.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Youve seen cleanout just befor and or after it leaves house That cleanout is often used as a test point for the system . If drain line comes in a house and straight out the back It matters not where the cleanout is front or back (except when length of feet between cleanouts is concerned). But where you are wyeing off the main for another bathroom (and backwater valve) your going to need a clean out anyway if your over 5 foot from mainline with any of those pipes. as to whether the backflow valve specificly requires a cleanout im not sure, In all of my cases I had a cleanout upstream of BW valve but you certainly dont need one at the valve.
Cleanouts are a good place to test from as your going to need a 10 ft head on that work so you might want to concider that.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Reason for a CO After the back water valve (Check ) is common decency

When someone installs a back water valve and sells the home the new owners may not now it is there

Now someone runs a cable or water jetter before the CV and the cable gets stuck when trying to retrieve it

Check valves have to be accessible and many times if there is no CO after the check we have to disassemble the top remove the flapper then run a snake .

This will cost the clients a lot more in time

The CO BEFORE the check is great for snaking / water Jetting Up Steam

sylvan-boiler-03.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reason for a CO After the back water valve (Check ) is common decency

When someone installs a back water valve and sells the home the new owners may not now it is there

Now someone runs a cable or water jetter before the CV and the cable gets stuck when trying to retrieve it

Check valves have to be accessible and many times if there is no CO after the check we have to disassemble the top remove the flapper then run a snake .

Valid point however putting a cleanout downstream of backwater valve does not change the fact that an end ofline cleanout is required. So I guess you are suggesting putting 2 cleanouts on the line ? Most plumbers arent going to do that especialy like 6 foot apart . So If you dont know there is a backwater valve and your going to snake a drain wouldnt you go to the end of line ? Either way you need a cleanout withen 5 foot of end of line

This will cost the clients a lot more in time

The CO BEFORE the check is great for snaking / water Jetting Up Steam

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Yes two clean outs

One upstream from the back water valve to maintain the buildings side of the main house sewer and one facing towards the city sewer just before the main goes through the foundation wall

Even when I install a running trap I like to install a co LTTY right after the traps outlet as it is easier to snake

I am used to larger waste systems

The problem with cast iron backwater valves is they usually have 4 bolts and a gasket and of a bolt should break which does happen we have a choice try to get the broken bolt out or the gasket has to be replaced every time the cover is removed

We had to install 4 - 8" checks on storm lines

The reason I wanted two clean outs was to know if the stoppage was upstream (buildings problem) or from the city main flowing back

Imagine removing the top of a back water valve and then you find out it is the 36" main in the street that is backed up and the flood starts entering the structure

Installing a second co will not put a job over budget

8" NO HUB BV1002 - CAST IRON HORIZONTAL BACKWATER VALVES WITH BRONZE FLAPPER

The newer see through top of the plastic valves let the building owner know when the flapper has to be disassembled and cleaned of grease and other debris that will prevent the valves from fully closing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks