Lawn Drains to Drywell OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

BobD777

Reaction score
I've got a situation where I need to put in some lawn drains in an area of our lawn where water collects from a nearby slope. We just had a patio installed and then had the whole property graded last year, power raked and finished with topsoil. We also planted lawn. However, we've got a good clay base under it all. I'm hoping that after the lawn establishes itself, it helps absorb more of the water off the slope.

I know I need the lawn drains. The question is, is it OK to have those tie into the drain pipes I have buried nearby, that lead to a big drywell we had put in for our gutters? I'm not so concerned about the capacity of the drywell, but am concerned with having debris get into the drywell. My mason last year planted that concern in my head. But today I spoke to a landscaping guy who said we could addres that concern by putting some filter/fabric over the outlet on the catch basin that goes to the drain pipe.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Sounds good to use fabric. My brother's house in Lake Grove, NY put in a dry well for standing water and twenty years later it is still working. The big issue is the fall leaves and the fabric will block the leaves.

BobD777

Reaction score
Sounds good to use fabric. My brother's house in Lake Grove, NY put in a dry well for standing water and twenty years later it is still working. The big issue is the fall leaves and the fabric will block the leaves.

Twenty years with no problems. I can live with that!

Do you know if he put the fabric under the top grating, or over the opening in the catch basin leading to the drywell? I think the former sounds a lot easier.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I think he just dug a deep hole and filled it with rock and fabric. It's all grass now and no sign of a drain.

DonnaBlack

Reaction score
I had the same situation. I thought this amount of water would be good for my lawn, but soon my lawn was destroyed, everything turned to mud. I was so upset because I spent so much effort to make it look good, I planted a beautiful lawn, but everything was ruined. I couldn't deal with it anymore, I didn't have the will or the nerve to do it. I just ordered a service on the site https://lawn.com.au/lawn-mowing of course, my situation was a little unusual, but the guys came up with a solution for me and I'm really happy with it now, especially in the morning, when I go out for a cup of coffee and enjoy the view of my it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I know I need the lawn drains. The question is, is it OK to have those tie into the drain pipes I have buried nearby, that lead to a big drywell we had put in for our gutters? I'm not so concerned about the capacity of the drywell, but am concerned with having debris get into the drywell. My mason last year planted that concern in my head. But today I spoke to a landscaping guy who said we could addres that concern by putting some filter/fabric over the outlet on the catch basin that goes to the drain pipe.
Consider leaf filters on the downspouts.
invisaflow-downspouts-4400-64_145.jpg
invisaflow-downspouts-4490-1f_145.jpg

InvisaFlow is one maker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks