Broken Irrigation Pipe, galvanized steel

Users who are viewing this thread

stew1234

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've just bought my first house a few weeks ago and have my first issue I'm hoping to resolve.

I found a leak in my irrigation, there used to be a nipple that ran up above ground, and was just capped off, but the horizontal pipe broke off at the elbow joint. (I'm not really sure how this broke, but it's possible the power company drove into the above ground pieces when trimming trees)

Checkout the images here:

stew1234-04.jpg

stew1234-03.jpg

stew1234-02.jpg

stew1234-01.jpg

Things I know:
  • There's not a whole lot of threading on that pipe. Most of it broke off into the elbow.
  • A female 3/4 in valve is too large for this pipe. After I found this out, I decided to measure the pipe..

Ideally I get this capped off as cheaply and as sturdily as possible. Those are my only two real goals here.

Any words of advice or thoughts would be great. I don't have much experience with this, so if need be, I'll call in for some help. But this is something that feels like it should be an easy enough fix

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like "1/2 inch" pipe. Is that copper, steel? Does a magnet attract?

stew1234

Reaction score
@Reach4 I believe it's steel. I spent some time sanding near the end of the pipe, so that should be close to original color (at least in some places).

Haven't tried a magnet, but I can try and report back... if I can find a magnet laying around.

stew1234

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @Reach4 !

I just checked out this Youtube video: to wrap my head around compression couplings , and it seems pretty easy to implement. Any particular reason you would recommend using PVC pipe instead of something else? I'm assuming it doesn't really matter what kind of pipe I use, so long as it's watertight, pressure-tight, and soil-tight.

Reach4

Reaction score
PVC is pretty cheap and available, and schedule 40 pvc is the same size as schedule 40 steel.

I looked briefly for a compression cap, but did not find that. I did not watch your video.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks