How to reconnect water heater cold water inlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Artted

Reaction score
What do I need to reconnect the child water inlet on my water heater without soldering?

20190727_190637.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You replace the flex line. Let's see the other end of the flex line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artted

Reaction score
The other end is soldered on. I was hoping to just put a new connector on the end that is pictured.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This flex is shot. Replace it.
You will need to cut the pipe out the wall on the other end and do some soldering. Replace the shut off valve and the nipple while you're doing it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A Sharkbite is maybe the easiest solution. You will need to cut off the end soldered and then, things will work if you have enough pipe length sticking out. You will need to make sure the pipe end is cleaned of burrs and sharp edges. THen, screw one end onto the WH, and push the other end onto the pipe and you're done.

ldon

Reaction score
A Sharkbite is maybe the easiest solution. You will need to cut off the end soldered and then, things will work if you have enough pipe length sticking out. You will need to make sure the pipe end is cleaned of burrs and sharp edges. THen, screw one end onto the WH, and push the other end onto the pipe and you're done.

I have a similar problem; if I cut off the flex copper line at the cut-off valve there will only be 7/8 inch of solid copper pipe remaining. Not sure that is enough pipe to attach a sharkbite? Any suggestions?
ldon

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a similar problem; if I cut off the flex copper line at the cut-off valve there will only be 7/8 inch of solid copper pipe remaining. Not sure that is enough pipe to attach a sharkbite? Any suggestions?
ldon
Find a plumber to do the soldering for you. 7/8 is too short for a 3/4 inch SharkBite.

ldon

Reaction score
The alternative would be to cut off the valve, too, and then rebuild. https://www.sharkbite.com/products/...ed-flexible-water-heater-connector-ball-valve The valve end would push onto the supply pipe after you cut it off, and the other end would screw onto the water heater.

Yes, I did consider doing that but the grounding clamp is in the way. I could move it back inside the wall, but if I use a sharkbite fitting would I then have broken continuity for the ground to the heater?

Last edited:

ldon

Reaction score
Find a plumber to do the soldering for you. 7/8 is too short for a 3/4 inch SharkBite.

I did talk to a plumper and he will solder a copper male fitting to each line for $150. That's acceptable to me, but I have to get a homeowner's permit from the city to install the water heater and the permit does not allow me to get help from anyone. I must do all of the work myself if I use a homeowner's permit.

ldon

Reaction score
Yes, I did consider doing that but the grounding clamp is in the way. I could move it back inside the wall, but if I use a sharkbite fitting would I then have broken continuity for the ground to the heater?
Trying to insert pictures, but not sure how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I did talk to a plumper and he will solder a copper male fitting to each line for $150. That's acceptable to me, but I have to get a homeowner's permit from the city to install the water heater and the permit does not allow me to get help from anyone. I must do all of the work myself if I use a homeowner's permit.
Ask a neighbor or two for soldering advice if you will solder.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are going to solder then install male adapter and use a nut x nut flex hose then you will never have solder again.
Secondly to repair a leak does not require a permit. And if it did just dont turn yourself in come on. That would be like calling the cops on yourself for removing a tag on a pillow!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To insert a picture, use the Upload a File button first before you hit Post Reply. You can't cut and paste...

Personally, if I were doing it and didn't have soldering tools or experience, I'd probably just use the Sharkbite part. You'll need about 1" of bare, clean pipe to push on the Sharkbite to the pipe after cutting off the valve. Now, if you do have a torch, you could unsolder the existing valve, while the lead is still molten, wipe it off quickly with a cotton cloth (nothing synthetic that would melt!), and maybe smooth it a bit with some emery cloth, and slide the Sharkbite on. No real soldering experience needed. The Sharkbite won't go on much (if at all) further than the socket of the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks