Water in kitchen floor, where is it coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Angela Hutton

Reaction score
I thought it was coming from my old washing machine. I got rid of it and bought a "new" used machine. The tech delivered it and set it up and checked to make sure it was not leaking. It was not. Today there was water on the kitchen floor again. No clue where it came from. The only water that was ran today was in the kitchen sink. It does leak a little under there, but not to that extent and no way for it to get from there to several feet across the kitchen. I'm stumped.

Reach4

Reaction score
Crawlspace or slab?

Failures in the drain lines from kitchen sinks is not uncommon. Clear out the things under the sink. Any sign of water under there?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sometimes the faucet will leak only when the water is in use. It happened to my son, once in a while a lot of water. We cleared out the cabinet, dried it out and sure enough in the morning there was water. We replaced the faucet. You might want to place paper towels on the bottom of the cabinet to catch water. Do you have a dishwasher?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be anything, keep filling your sink up and dump water like 5 times, see if water shows up, could be a broken water line. I had a guy that thought he had a foundation leak. but ended up being the copper drain line in the wall

Angela Hutton

Reaction score
No dishwasher. It does leak a little under the sink. The pipe under the sink leaks. I have a bowl under it to catch the water. Still don't see how it would get from there to a few feet away in the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Still don't see how it would get from there to a few feet away in the floor.

Through the wall, to the slab, under the bottom of the cabinet and across the slab to the puddle. The santee may have failed, or the pipe below the santee may have failed. That is one possibility.

Reach4

Reaction score
what is a santee?
That is short for sanitary tee. The vent pipe goes up from there. The trap arm of the trap goes out the side to your p-trap.
white-nibco-pvc-fittings-c4811hd112-64_145.jpg

This is one in plastic, but yours might be steel or cast iron. Those can fail. The steel pipe into the bottom of a metal santee can fail.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Put a marble on the floor close to any water source to see if it rolls to the location where the water accumulates. Could be a low spot in your floor.

Check the fridge too. I have a brand new one that started leaking on the floor. They generate condensation but generally that should evaporate before leaking anywhere. Ice maker too.

Also, check the ceiling. What's up there?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
No dishwasher. It does leak a little under the sink. The pipe under the sink leaks. I have a bowl under it to catch the water. Still don't see how it would get from there to a few feet away in the floor.

Water flows down hill. Your floor is not as level as you might think it is.

Angela Hutton

Reaction score
Two plumbers out in as many days. He couldn't get it to leak, so he didn't fix it. It's intermittent, apparently. I still want it fixed. He looked at the leak under the sink, didn't want to fool with it either. Can't believe nobody wants to do anything.

Angela Hutton

Reaction score
A second specialty drain plumber came out, ran the washer, it didn't leak and the water had dried up. So he did nothing! I'm so frustrated! Do they think I'm lying about it? Ugh!

Angela Hutton

Reaction score
what is that? It came from two different places today. It was in front of the washing machine today, and then behind the wall again. I heard it gurgle that time.

Reach4

Reaction score
what is that? It came from two different places today. It was in front of the washing machine today, and then behind the wall again. I heard it gurgle that time.
How many units are above you?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Behind the wall" - Is the wall wet? could be a supply pipe running in the wall.
"Gurgle" - Where is this sound coming from? Are you in a single story?

Reach4

Reaction score
A second specialty drain plumber came out, ran the washer, it didn't leak and the water had dried up. So he did nothing! I'm so frustrated! Do they think I'm lying about it? Ugh!
If the leak under the sink is reproducible, I would think they could fix that. Post a picture that shows the bottom of the sink, where the drain goes into the wall. Try to show the pipe from the side.

Have you had rain lately?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Keep a dry towel at the sink as if it is a rug, when it gets wet you might be able to tell from where to leak is coming from by how wet one particular area is. Gurgling usually means a backed up drain or sewer line. Is this mobile home connected to a septic tank or a city sewer connection?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks