Feedback on DWV plans?

Users who are viewing this thread

jds

Reaction score
First off, hi. I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. I'm in the process of a renovating my 100-year old house, which includes changing the floor plan and moving the bathroom on the main floor. I'm hoping to be ready to start the rough plumbing in a couple of weeks and wanted to draw on all of the wisdom here to see if my plans make sense and pass code (UPC).

A couple of (probably) useful notes:
  • The house is one-floor plus a basement. There is a basement bath that we are not touching at all. It has its own 2" vent (shown on the diagram)
  • There is currently a 4" drain/vent stack. The vent portion runs through what will be a hallway, so can't be kept as is. We're planning to tie the new bathroom drains into the 4" drain, and connect the new vents to the 4" vent in the roof (hence some of the circuitous vent routes in the attic).
  • The kitchen sink has it's own vent (1.5") and separate drain connection (2") which are not on the diagram.
  • The 3" vent from the bathroom is excessive, but required to meet the UPC requirement that total vent area equals drain area
  • I'm running separate parallel drains for each bathroom fixture to avoid drilling through (or dropping below) the 2x8 floor joists
Does this all look kosher? Any ideas to improve or simplify things? Thanks so much!

-Jeff
plumbingIsometric.jpg

jds

Reaction score
You can wet vent your toilet with the vanity if you run the drain above and over to the toilet joist
Wet venting is still sort of black magic to me so I want to make sure I understand. Is this diagram right? And what sort of fittings would you use to connect the wet vent to the toilet drain? Thanks!
plumbingIsometric_wetVent.jpg

jds

Reaction score
Run the drain for vanity above floor
Awesome! I think I understand this. It's basically just draining the vanity through the toilet's vent. So the whole thing would look like the attached diagram, right? That definitely simplifies things. Any potential issues you see that I may have missed on this? Thanks again
plumbingIsometric_wetVent.jpg

jds

Reaction score
So, this project ended up taking far longer than expected, but I've finished and just passed the rough inspection this morning! I wanted to thank you all for the advice on this. Here are a few pics of how it turned out in real life

IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
IMG_3028.jpg
IMG_3029.jpg
IMG_3030.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks