Water softener discharge to washer stack or laundry sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

DAW

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently repaired a water softener in an old house i bought. Unfortunately, it had been installed to drain the recharge brine into a sump pit, and then a pump pushed it through the foundation wall onto my neighbor's property line -- not a neighborly setup as I don't want it to kill his grass and shrubs.

So I purchased enough 3/4" pex to run it about 5o feet to my laundry room. Can any of you share some wisdom on whether it is/is not advisable to shove the discharge down the same stack that my washing machine drains into?

If the washer stack is no bueno, how can I connect 3/4" pex to a "diswasher" flange/knub on the bottom of my laundry sink? I purchased an undersink drain pipe with such a knub to discharge a dishwasher, but the diameter of the knub is too big to get the pex onto it. Any McGuyver way to connect it that will not fail over time?

Would love to hear folks' opinion on how best to set this up.

Thanks very much,
DW

Reach4

Reaction score
So I purchased enough 3/4" pex to run it about 5o feet to my laundry room. Can any of you share some wisdom on whether it is/is not advisable to shove the discharge down the same stack that my washing machine drains into?
Both ways work fine. Is that a 2 inch ID standpipe? In a recessed box or not?

DAW

Reaction score
Both ways work fine. Is that a 2 inch ID standpipe? In a recessed box or not?
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is a 2" pipe in a box. I haven't yet tried to put the pex in the standpipe beside the washer discharge, but I think it would just barely squeeze in there.

Last edited:

DAW

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is a 2" pipe in a box. I haven't tried to put it in the standpipe beside the washer discharge, but I think it would just squeeze in there.
Further clarification, the box is not recessed in a wall. It is mounted on the outside of a wall with easy access.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is one possiblity. https://airgap.com/product/ag140-001/ There are others.

You could bring the softener drain in from a new hole in the top of the box for an installation that would probably look better than an elbow in from the front.

DAW

Reaction score
This is one possiblity. https://airgap.com/product/ag140-001/ There are others.

You could bring the softener drain in from a new hole in the top of the box for an installation that would probably look better than an elbow in from the front.

Thanks much for the reply. I never knew such a contraption existed. I think that's my answer. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks