Load Bearing Wall - Easy Determination?

Users who are viewing this thread

RapaNui

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've contacted several structural engineers over the past few weeks to determine whether a wall is load-bearing, but no one has gotten back to me. We're looking to remove a section of a wall separating our kitchen and living room. We would leave the header in place and there would be ~8ft between studs. Our house is a 1960's split-level home with a truss system supporting the roof. I took a photo in the attic and have marked approximately where the wall currently is.

Because it's a truss roof and the wall is not directly underneath any of the supports, is it fair to say it's not load bearing?

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.31.16 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.24.30 AM.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Trusses are supported by their ends. In fact, they often do not rest on cross partitions, which is why they have 'sliding clips' to secure to the partitions.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you looked in the crawl space or basement? That would be another indication IMO.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Trusses are supported by their ends. In fact, they often do not rest on cross partitions, which is why they have 'sliding clips' to secure to the partitions.

I'm with hj on this. They look to be roof trusses, which are supported on the ends.
You could remove that entire wall and it wouldn't matter.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's current practice, but can you say with certainty that 50 years ago trusses weren't ever designed with intermediate supports? The fact the diagonal supports don't land on the wall also makes it very unlikely that the wall is not load bearing, but again do you have sufficient certainty?

An engineer could evaluate the existing trusses and determine their capacity, to see if it can span between exterior walls as expected. Or if you have original construction documents, or can find a manufacturer stamp on the trusses, you may be able to determine that without an engineer.

Cheers, Wayne

RapaNui

Reaction score
I'm definitely on the edge of certainty, but I decided to go back up and take a look where the trusses meet the wall's top plate. I was looking for some spacing between them, but unfortunately, they are in direct contact and nailed together with a single nail (photos attached). From was I've read, this seems to not be the best practice by today's standards.

The trusses above the doorway aren't in contact with anything, as it doesn't appear there is a header or top plate there. I'm going to start doing some math with this truss calculator. http://design.medeek.com/calculator/calculator.pl

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.37.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.37.41 PM.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.37.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.37.29 PM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 249

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As other stated above, the sole purpose of roof trust, as you have, brings the entire load to the end walls. It is stronger, faster to install and very stable than other roof systems. It is the same as a trust bridge span.

upload_2020-3-29_10-0-42.jpeg
upload_2020-3-29_10-6-51.jpeg
roof03.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks