Ideas for plugging a pipe below slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbrk

Reaction score
I have a 2" and pipe sticking up in a finished space, that was once supposed to be for a vanity, is now not needed.

IMG_20200325_193745.jpg

I need to get rid of this thing.amd by get rid of I mean make it look nice.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to achieve this.

My plan is to cut the pipe 2" below the slab with an internal cutter, plug it with something to stop the gases coming up. Patch the hole with a sand mix.

My Problem is plugging it. I can't find any fittings that go in the inside diameter of the pipe.

I found this 2" ABS 'snap in cover' on oatey's website, this isn't a common item and there there no tech specs on it. Does anyone know if this is meant to fit the ID of pipe ?

https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-all-plastic-snapin-outlet-cover--860243807

large_038753435718_T_001.jpg

Any other ideas are appreciated

Thanks!

Jamie

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
For an expanded selection of ABS compatable fittings, you might try a specialty supplier to the plumbing trade such as Noble or Wolseley. Both have locations in or around Toronto. While they may not stock a seldom needed fitting, either will be more likely to recommend a solution and order it in for you compared to a big box store that caters mainly to the DIY market.

Edit: While there is nothing in the photo to compare the pipe size against, I suspect the ABS pipe stub shown is 1.5" diameter.

Last edited:

Jbrk

Reaction score

Hey WorthFlorida,

I've thought of the fernco cap. The Problem it fits on the outside of the pipe, which means I have to chip away the concrete enough to expose the pipe. It means the final product will looks messy after I patch it.

I've thought of using a test plug. Worried of it failing over time. Anyone come across a test plug that's been sitting in its spot for years?

Jbrk

Reaction score
Hi Bannerman,

Not sure if you walk into plumbing supplys like noble (vs order in),But the staff don't give a shit about your plumbing problems...

Wolseley is better, I usually use Next. I like their staff, they're good people.

Nothing solved though, that's why I'm asking the guys in the trenches on here.

Bannerman

Reaction score
We only know what you have told us. If you already tried Next or Wolseley and they couldn't help you, you didn't say so.

Since the staff at these suppliers are dealing with a variety of plumbers issues every day, I anticipated they would know their suppliers catalogues to be able to recommend fittings that would fulfill your requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks